Thrilled to share this 30-minute recipe for wholesome bran muffins with you! Made with out refined sugar and positively full of dietary fiber, these healthful bran muffins are a tasty AND nutritious deal with. Dairy free, no mixer required, and the add-ins are as much as you!
What do you consider if you consider “bran muffins”? Wholesome however tasteless? Nutritious however dry? Properly, I got down to change the common-or-garden bran muffin’s repute, so get able to rethink your preconceived notions. As a result of these wholesome bran muffins are flavorful, moist, and something however bland!
A number of check batches later and we have now ourselves a wonderfully scrumptious, healthful, not-overly-sweet bran muffin that adults AND children get pleasure from. I had a 2-year-old, 5-year-old, 6-year-old, 9-year-old, teenager, plus grownup style testers right here… approval throughout. 😉
Right here’s Why You’ll Love These Wholesome Bran Muffins
- Healthful and nutritious
- Barely candy, cinnamon-spiced, nutty taste
- Filled with insoluble dietary fiber
- Hearty however NOT dry, similar to these applesauce muffins
- Sweetened with honey—no refined sugar
- Dairy-free baking recipe if utilizing a dairy-free milk
- No mixer required
- Wholesome grab-and-go breakfast or anytime snack
- Freeze nicely
- Add-ins are as much as you: raisins, nuts, blueberries… select your favourite
Recipe Testing for Bran Muffin Success
I tailored this recipe from my morning glory muffins and blueberry oatmeal muffins, two of the preferred more healthy muffin recipes on my website. The recipe went by means of 3 rounds of testing:
- The primary check batch I made was too moist—not sufficient entire wheat flour, so that they tasted a bit greasy.
- For the second batch, I not noted the applesauce and let the batter sit for about quarter-hour earlier than baking, so the bran may take in among the liquid. This made the batter actually thick, however then the muffins tasted too dry. Higher to bake the batter straight away.
- My third strive was the “good” Goldilocks-approved batch of bran muffins, which is the recipe I’m sharing with you right now.
What Is Wheat Bran?
The bran is the protecting outer layer, or shell, of the wheat kernel, which is stripped away throughout the milling course of. But it surely’s really tremendous wealthy in insoluble fiber and different vitamins, and has a calmly candy, nutty taste. What’s to not like about this superfood?!
What Sort of Wheat Bran Ought to I Use?
Quite a lot of bran muffin recipes name for bran cereal, however we’re simply utilizing straight-up wheat bran right here, so there aren’t any added components from the cereal.
I often discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to buy it online. I like Bob’s Red Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient.
A pair questions & solutions:
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As a substitute? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, corresponding to All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Take into account that most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- What if I Can’t Discover Wheat Bran? For those who’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it online, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you may select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (corresponding to raisins).
- Can I Make These Gluten Free? You may’t with out utterly altering the recipe. I like to recommend my blueberry almond muffins as a substitute.
All of the Substances You Want:
- Entire Wheat Flour: I really like utilizing entire wheat flour in baking once I can. It could possibly dry out baked items, so it’s essential to concentrate to the ratio of moist components to steadiness it out.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder: These leaveners assist the muffins stand up tall. I often use 1 teaspoon every in most muffin recipes, however that proved to be an excessive amount of baking soda (it left a bit little bit of an aftertaste). So, use 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda right here.
- Salt: Taste enhancer.
- Cinnamon: A favourite ingredient in lots of muffin recipes!
- Egg: The egg helps to bind the components collectively. For those who’d wish to make these muffins vegan, swap the egg to your favourite baking egg substitute.
- Honey: Likewise, you’ll be able to swap the honey for maple syrup to make these muffins vegan.
- Coconut Oil: That is one in every of my favourite components in baking. To keep away from a coconut-y taste, search for one which’s labeled “unrefined.” For those who don’t have coconut oil, use vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: Unsweetened, easy applesauce takes the place of extra oil. For those who don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Vanilla Extract: Baked items’ favourite taste enhancer (shh, don’t inform the salt).
- Nondairy Milk: I examined this recipe with plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you should use oat milk or your most popular sort of nondairy milk. You can additionally use common dairy milk or buttermilk.
- Non-obligatory Add-ins: I used raisins within the pictured muffins, however you’ll be able to definitely go away the bran muffins plain or fill with contemporary, frozen, or dried blueberries; dried cranberries; chopped nuts; apples; and so on.
Make Your Bran Muffins
Making these bran muffins is so simple as combining the dry components in 1 bowl, combining the moist components in one other bowl, then whisking them collectively and folding in your raisins or different add-ins. Actually couldn’t be simpler—even easier than whipping up a batch of zucchini muffins.
*Success Tip: The batter will rapidly begin to thicken up because the wheat bran absorbs the liquid—suppose instantaneous oatmeal, or bran flake cereal absorbing milk the longer it’s left in your bowl. Scoop the batter into your lined muffin pan as quickly as all of your components are mixed, and bake.
All the time respect fast, uncomplicated prep work for breakfast recipes.
Benefit from the baked muffins heat and be at liberty to swipe a pat of butter on every, or apple butter, or my favourite honey butter. So satisfying!
Flavorful, healthful, and tender, these bran muffins are a straightforward and fast wholesome baking staple. Be sure to’re utilizing pure wheat bran, not bran cereal. Use your favourite add-ins, or go away the muffins plain. See Notes for freezing directions and mini muffin directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use muffin liners.
- Whisk the flour, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon collectively in a big bowl till mixed. Put aside.
- Whisk the egg, honey, melted coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and milk collectively in a medium bowl till mixed. Pour the moist components into the dry components, and whisk to mix. Swap to a rubber spatula or picket spoon and fold within the raisins (or different add-ins).
- Spoon the batter evenly into liners, filling all of them the best way to the highest. Bake for five minutes at 425°F, then, holding the muffins within the oven, cut back the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an extra 14–quarter-hour or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. The full time these muffins take within the oven is about 20 minutes, give or take. Permit the muffins to chill for five minutes within the muffin pan, then switch to a wire rack to proceed cooling.
- Muffins keep contemporary lined at room temperature for a number of days, then switch to the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: For longer storage, freeze the muffins for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then warmth up within the microwave if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): 12-Count Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Muffin Liners
- Entire Wheat Flour: Be at liberty to exchange with all-purpose flour, or use a mixture of each all-purpose and entire wheat.
- Wheat Bran: I often discover wheat bran within the cereal aisle close to the oats, or you’ll be able to buy it online. I like Bob’s Purple Mill model (not working with them, simply genuinely like their merchandise). No must soak it or sift it or something earlier than utilizing, simply add it as a dry ingredient. For those who’re unable to search out wheat bran at your native retailer or buy it online, you’ll be able to strive these blueberry oatmeal muffins as a substitute. The recipe is comparable, and you may select any add-ins you favor as a substitute of blueberries (corresponding to raisins).
- Can I Use Bran Cereal As a substitute? I like to recommend utilizing wheat bran for these muffins, however I do know some recipes name for grinding bran cereal (both flakes or strands, corresponding to All-Bran or Fiber One) into crumbs to make use of instead of wheat bran. I haven’t examined it myself with this recipe. Be mindful most bran cereals embrace sugar.
- Coconut Oil: For those who don’t have coconut oil, use the identical quantity of vegetable oil, avocado oil, or melted butter as a substitute.
- Applesauce: For those who don’t have applesauce, mashed banana is a superb substitute.
- Milk: I exploit plain (unsweetened) almond milk, however you should use any sort of milk—dairy or nondairy—that you simply favor, or buttermilk. Diet data calculated utilizing plain unsweetened almond milk.
- Raisins/Add-ins: You should utilize 2/3 cup of any add-ins you favor as a substitute of raisins, corresponding to dried cranberries, chopped walnuts or pecans, contemporary or dried blueberries, or peeled and finely chopped apples, or go away the muffins plain. If utilizing apples, I often use nearer to 1 cup. Diet data calculated utilizing raisins.
- Why the preliminary excessive oven temperature? Like I do for many muffin recipes, bake the muffins for five minutes at a extremely popular temperature. Then, holding the muffins within the oven, swap to a decrease temperature for the remaining bake time. This preliminary excessive temperature will rapidly elevate the muffin tops so that they’re further excessive, then the facilities will bake throughout the lower-temperature bake time. This trick makes stunning bakery-style muffins each time.
- Mini Muffins: If making these in a mini muffin pan, bake 12–13 minutes complete at 350°F (177°C) the entire time.
- Diet Info Per 1 Muffin: Energy (191), Complete Fats (7.3g), Sodium (174mg), Carbohydrates (31g), Dietary Fiber (4.2g), Sugar (14g), Protein (3.7g)
- Serving Measurement: 1 muffin
- Energy: 191
- Sugar: 14.1 g
- Sodium: 174.7 mg
- Fats: 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.4 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 15.5 mg