Showcasing candy and juicy peaches effervescent beneath a toasted pecan oat streusel, peach crisp takes lower than half the effort and time required for conventional peach pie. Served heat with chilly vanilla ice cream, summer time dessert doesn’t get a lot better than this!
This peach crisp combines a mountain of juicy summer time peaches underneath candy and crumbly oat streusels. It additionally requires a mountain of willpower to not eat your entire pan. Belief me, I’ve made this a minimum of 3x every summer time since 2015 and there’s by no means any leftovers. It’s the *greatest* peach dessert. (Sorry, peach pie.)
One reader, Tammy, commented: “This must be one of the best peach crisp recipe I’ve ever made or had. We completely liked it. It was easy and I had all of the elements available. Was a good way to make use of up the remainder of our beautiful, recent Georgia peaches. This recipe goes in my private cookbook to make repeatedly. ★★★★★“
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Peach Crisp
- Showcase Recent Peaches: That is the right recipe for peaches to shine throughout peak season.
- Simpler Than Pie: I completely adore peach pie, however there’s little question that do-it-yourself pie is a labor of affection. Generally we’d like a crowd-pleasing dessert that’s simpler, however simply as seasonal and spectacular. On this peach crisp, you’re swapping pie crust for a straightforward oat pecan streusel topping.
- Fantastic Mixture of Textures: Thick, tender, juicy peach filling + crispy, nutty, toasted topping.
- Stuffed with Taste: Whereas the peaches steal the highlight, they’re enhanced by a supporting forged of brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, lemon, and vanilla—which work collectively to ship a caramelized taste you’ll love.
- No Eggs: One other egg-free baking recipe.
- No Ready: You don’t have to attend for something to return to room temperature, chill, or cool! It is a crowd-pleasing dessert you’ll be able to prep, bake, and serve in about an hour.
Fruit crisps, resembling this strawberry vanilla crisp and my apple crisp, are the indeniable champions of fruit desserts as they solely require a baking dish, fruit, and streusel. They usually have a lot texture in every heat chew. No must soiled your rolling pin!
Not a fan of an oat topping? You’ll love this fan-favorite peach cobbler as a substitute.
Substances to Use & Why
- Recent Peaches: You want about 2 to 2 1/2 kilos of peaches, or about 6 medium-size peaches, minimize into slices. Peeling them is non-obligatory. See under for data on one of the best peaches to make use of.
- Flour: All-purpose is greatest right here. You’ll use flour in each the filling and the topping.
- Sugar: You want granulated sugar for the filling and brown sugar for the topping.
- Salt: For its flavor-enhancing superpowers.
- Lemon Juice: The filling tastes a bit of flat with out it.
- Vanilla Extract: I like utilizing vanilla on this strawberry vanilla crisp, and it’s nice on this recipe too.
- Cinnamon: Heat cinnamon spice and peach desserts go hand-in-hand.
- Butter: To forestall it from melting too quickly and dropping texture, use very chilly butter. This can give the topping that unbelievable crumbly texture, when the items of chilly butter hit the recent oven and soften all around the peach crisp. I take the butter out of the fridge, minimize it into cubes, after which place the cubed butter within the freezer for about 10–quarter-hour earlier than I want it.
- Oats: Entire rolled oats are greatest on this crisp topping, however fast oats work too.
- Pecans: Chop up some unsalted pecans for the topping. You’ll be able to depart them out for a nut-free dessert.
- Vanilla Ice Cream (for Serving): Non-compulsory, however strongly inspired! The way in which the ice cream begins melting when it hits that heat peach crisp is nearly essentially the most mouthwatering dessert expertise I can consider!
Wish to stage up your peach crisp? Strive my brown butter blueberry peach skillet crisp.
Making Peach Crisp Is as Simple as 1, 2, 3
- Mix filling elements, and unfold in a evenly greased baking dish. You should utilize just about any 9-inch or 2–2.5-quart baking dish, resembling a deep-dish 9-inch pie dish, 10-inch cast iron skillet, or a 9-inch sq. baking pan. It is a smaller dimension pan than the one wanted for this apple crisp.
- Mix topping elements. Whisk collectively the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, then use a pastry cutter or forks to work the chilly cubed butter into the dry elements, breaking it down into pea-sized items. The combination needs to be crumbly. Stir the oats and chopped pecans into the topping combination *after* you chop within the butter. You don’t need them to interrupt down an excessive amount of. This is similar means we make the topping for bourbon cherry crisp. Sprinkle the topping all around the filling. After which…
- BAKE. That’s it! The peaches launch their juices, the juices bubble up, the topping turns into crunchy and toasted. And also you don’t even have to attend for it to chill down, as a result of you’ll be able to dig into this peach crisp whereas it’s heat. YUM!
All of the tasty perks of a standard peach pie in a fraction of the time.
It’ll appear to be quite a lot of topping, however understand that quite a lot of it seeps down into that juicy peach layer.
You should utilize any number of peaches, yellow or white, however you need barely agency (not exhausting) peaches with no bruises or tender spots. Your greatest wager is to buy or choose about 10 agency peaches (about 3 kilos), then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have tender spots after this time, so that’s the reason I recommend shopping for a pair greater than you really want. Eat any overly tender peaches or use them in peach muffins.
It is a nice query, and I undoubtedly need to reply it for anybody questioning. Peach crisp and peach cobbler each showcase peaches, however they’ve completely different toppings. Peach crisp features a buttery streusel-like oat crumb topping, whereas peach cobbler sometimes has a thicker, extra substantial biscuit topping. Each are simpler than pie!
Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches are usually not superb as a result of they’re already too tender and mushy.
This buttery peach crisp combines candy and juicy peaches with brown sugar cinnamon oat streusel. Toasty pecans add a bit of crunch whereas vanilla ice cream provides a stunning distinction to the nice and cozy peach filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Evenly grease a deep dish 9-inch pie dish, 9-inch sq. pan, 10-inch cast iron skillet, or any 2-2.5 quart baking dish. Put aside.
- Gently combine all the filling elements collectively in a big bowl, then unfold into the baking dish.
- Make the topping: Whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Lower within the butter utilizing a pastry cutter or fork till the combination is crumbly. Fold within the oats and pecans. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes till the topping is golden brown and the fruit juices are effervescent across the edges. Take away from the oven, place on a wire rack, and permit to chill for a couple of minutes earlier than serving heat. You may also serve room temperature or chilly.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: I don’t advocate making ready and refrigerating the crisp, unbaked, as a result of the filling will turn into further juicy the longer it sits. You’ll be able to, nonetheless, put together the topping as much as 2 days prematurely and canopy and refrigerate it till wanted. Baked crisp freezes effectively for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then heat in a 350°F (177°C) for 20 minutes or till heated by.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Vegetable/Fruit Peeler | 9-inch Square Baking Dish (or related dimension) | Glass Mixing Bowl | Pastry Cutter | Cooling Rack
- Replace in 2023: After making this peach crisp so typically, I made a couple of slight tweaks to the unique 2015 recipe. I diminished the sugar within the filling from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup as a result of it was a bit of too candy. I additionally added some lemon juice to brighten up the flavour. And at last, I diminished the butter from 8 Tbsp to six Tbsp so the crisp topping holds up higher.
- Gluten Free: For a gluten free crisp, use my recipe for gluten free apple crisp and substitute sliced apples with sliced peaches.
- Can I Use Frozen or Canned Peaches? Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches are usually not superb as a result of they’re already too tender and mushy.