There’s a superb probability that you have already got every thing it’s worthwhile to make this simple Victoria Sponge Cake in your pantry! This traditional sponge cake recipe is irresistibly delicate, spongy, and ideal for layering with scrumptious jam and cream filling.
A Easy Sponge Cake Recipe
So, full disclosure: I say “easy” right here as in, this Victoria sponge cake is SO easy to make. However the texture and style are something however. In actual fact, if there’s one dessert that you simply’ll need to convey to all of your summertime get-togethers this 12 months, that is it.
This traditional Victoria sponge cake recipe is just like the British cousin of my Spanish-inspired Tres Leches Cake. It’s delicate and moist, stuffed with fluffy selfmade whipped cream and my favourite raspberry jam. The irresistibly spongy crumb melts away with each chunk. I layer my cake with filling after which mud the highest with powdered sugar. Perfection!
Why is that this known as a Victoria sponge cake? It is a conventional recipe that’s layered with jam and whipped cream (or buttercream). It’s named after Queen Victoria, who loved a slice of cake on daily basis along with her afternoon tea. Who am I to move up the possibility to eat like royalty?
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
What makes this the most effective sponge cake?
- Straightforward, but spectacular. There’s a motive this cake recipe is match for a Queen. It’s lush and flavorful, but in some way insanely simple to make with solely 4 components. It’s a deal with for the eyes and tastebuds.
- Versatile. Each kitchen wants a traditional, good sponge cake recipe (IMHO). Whether or not you’re whipping collectively this cake on the weekend or baking it for an important day or vacation, it’s actually vital cake recipe. Commerce out the filling, frost it, flip it right into a poke cake – the chances are limitless.
- Berries and cream goodness. I really like the mixture of candy raspberry jam and fluffy whipped cream between the moist, tender cake layers. It’s good for summer season, and all 12 months spherical.
What Is a Sponge Cake?
As you’ll have guessed by the identify, a sponge cake is a lightweight and fluffy, spongy cake. Like a Pound Cake, a sponge cake is made with easy components: primarily butter, sugar, eggs, and flour, although not in the identical portions. The feel of a sponge cake is extra delicate, as you’ll see with this Victoria sponge recipe.
Elements You’ll Want
You may make an ideal sponge cake with solely 4 simple pantry components, plus a pinch of salt and a few vanilla. Here’s a fast overview of what you’ll have to make this cake and its filling. Keep in mind to scroll to the printable recipe card for the complete quantities and particulars.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter, simply be sure that it’s at room temperature.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is finest for a sponge cake and yields essentially the most persistently gentle, ethereal crumb.
- Vanilla: I extremely advocate utilizing an actual vanilla extract slightly than the imitation form.
- Eggs: Eggs are key to a delicate, moist sponge cake. Alongside together with your butter, take your eggs out of the fridge to allow them to come to room temperature. Whisk them collectively earlier than you begin in order that they’re good a fluffy.
- Flour: For this sponge cake, I take advantage of self-rising flour. All-purpose flour will even work.
- Heavy Whipping Cream and Powdered Sugar: Two components for making the best selfmade whipped cream ever. You can even use store-bought whipped cream if you happen to’re pressed for time.
- Jam: Historically strawberry or raspberry. I selected raspberry jam, however both one tastes scrumptious, and you may actually use any taste of jam or preserves that you simply’d like. See additional within the publish for straightforward variation concepts.
- Contemporary Berries: If raspberries are in season, I really like so as to add them as a garnish.
How you can Make a Sponge Cake
The great thing about this easy sponge cake recipe is that the batter comes collectively within the time it takes to preheat the oven. Swap your oven to 350ºF, and let’s get began:
- Mix the Batter Elements: Start by creaming collectively the butter and sugar, plus a pinch of salt. Subsequent, slowly beat within the vanilla adopted by your whisked eggs. After a few minute, regularly add the flour. Do your finest to not overmix the batter.
- Bake: Divide the cake batter between two greased and lined baking pans, then bake at 350ºF for 17-20 minutes. The highest of your cake ought to be golden, and the middle of the sponge ought to spring again if you press it gently together with your finger.
- Cool: Your desserts might want to cool to room temperature earlier than you possibly can add the filling. Depart them to chill for about 10 minutes within the pan earlier than inverting the desserts onto a wire rack to complete cooling fully.
- Put together the Filling: As soon as your desserts are cooled, you’ll whip up a fast and straightforward selfmade whipped cream. To take action, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar collectively on excessive till you attain stiff peaks.
- Stack the Truffles: Beginning with the primary cake layer, unfold a thick layer of jam over high, adopted by the whipped cream. Fastidiously high this with the second cake layer. I prefer to mud the highest of my Victoria sponge cake with powdered sugar and contemporary berries. The way you garnish yours is completely as much as you!
Ideas for Success
Maintain the following tips in thoughts when making this moist and spongy selfmade cake from scratch:
- Use room-temperature components. Elements like eggs and butter mix extra easily after they aren’t chilly from the fridge. Your cake will even bake extra evenly.
- Beat the eggs nicely earlier than you begin. Including quantity to the eggs is what makes a sponge cake delicate and fluffy, as an alternative of dense and, nicely, eggy.
- Don’t overmix your cake components. Combine the batter solely till the flour is simply mixed. Overly beating the batter will yield a troublesome, denser cake.
- Keep away from overbaking the cake. Begin checking your cake for doneness on the earliest advised baking time in order that it doesn’t overbake. Overbaking will dry out the cake.
- Degree the cake. In case your baked cake has risen rather a lot within the center, you possibly can trim the dome from the underside layer in order that your second cake layer stacks evenly. An alternative choice is to invert the underside layer in order that the sleek, flat aspect faces upwards.
Upon getting an ideal sponge cake recipe in your repertoire, there’s no restrict to the variations which you could strive! Listed here are some concepts:
- Totally different Jams: Use your favourite jams and fruit preserves instead of raspberry jam within the filling. Different choices are strawberry or blueberry jam, orange marmalade, or lemon preserves.
- Buttercream: One other conventional filling for a Victoria sponge cake is Buttercream. Strive it instead of whipped cream! You can even use strawberry jam and Roasted Strawberry Buttercream for a enjoyable twist.
- Toppings: I high this cake with contemporary raspberries, however you possibly can garnish it with any sort of contemporary fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or any mixture thereof).
- Sauces: Nobody is stopping you from drizzling your cake with chocolate sauce, and even selfmade Caramel Sauce or Strawberry Syrup.
How you can Retailer Home made Sponge Cake
Because of the whipped cream filling, your completed sponge cake will must be refrigerated. The cake will preserve hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Can I Freeze Sponge Cake?
Sure, if you happen to’re making this recipe forward, I discover that it’s finest to freeze the person baked sponge desserts earlier than you add the filling. Nonetheless, you may as well freeze the assembled cake. Wrap the sponge cake tightly in plastic wrap, both entire or in slices. I like to recommend including an additional layer of foil to assist shield the cake from freezer burn. Afterward, retailer the sponge cake frozen for as much as 3 months, and thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Straightforward Cake Recipes
Victoria Sponge Cake is a conventional sponge cake recipe that’s delicate, spongy, and made with easy components. Excellent for layering with jam and selfmade whipped cream!
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 massive eggs, whisked at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
Non-compulsory – contemporary raspberries to garnish
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat two 8- inch spherical cake pans with baking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper rounds. Coat once more and put aside.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugar, and salt collectively on medium-high velocity for two minutes. Add within the vanilla after which the whisked eggs slowly, scraping down the edges of the bowl as mandatory. Combine for 1 minute.
- Flip the mixer to low velocity and slowly combine within the flour till simply mixed and the batter is clean. Divide the batter between the ready cake pans and clean with a spatula.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or till the highest is golden brown, the cake springs again when gently pressed within the heart, and the perimeters are beginning to draw back from the edges of the pan. Cool the cake within the pan for 10 minutes after which invert onto a wire rack to chill fully, peeling the parchment paper off the cake.
- Filling: Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment combine the cream and powdered sugar collectively on excessive velocity for 1 minute, or till stiff peaks kind.
- Place one cake on a cake plate and high with raspberry jam. Unfold the whipped cream on high of the jam and place the remaining cake layer on high.
- Garnish: Mud the highest of the cake with powdered sugar and prepare contemporary berries on high or across the cake.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: sponge cake, victoria sponge cake, sponge cake recipe