My Sourdough Pizza Crust recipe makes a skinny, crispy, and oh-so-flavorful crust that may make any pizza style like an artisan pizza. It’s nice for making ready prematurely, freezes nicely and makes sufficient for the entire household. Recipe features a how-to video!
The BEST Sourdough Pizza Crust
Seize your sourdough starter as a result of in the present day we’re making sourdough pizza crust! My recipe ferments in a single day (or longer) for essentially the most dietary advantages and BEST taste.
Whereas in the present day’s recipe isn’t significantly sophisticated, there are fairly a couple of steps and it does require some endurance (it’s fairly totally different from my fast & straightforward home made pizza dough that approach). Nevertheless, the time it takes is basically hands-off and more often than not spent making it’s simply ready (patiently or impatiently–you determine 😉).
The perfect a part of in the present day’s recipe is that it’s a choose-your-own-ending kind of recipe. Use your favourite toppings, I’m fairly basic, normally utilizing my home made pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and typically(ooh, I’m going to get some hate for this) pineapple, however be at liberty to go wild with the toppings, although, and even use the toppings from my dessert pizza! The sourdough enhances so many alternative taste combos (and I’d love to listen to what you provide you with within the feedback!).
Why you’ll find it irresistible:
- No yeast required!
- Unbelievable taste and crisp texture.
- Only a little bit of hands-on time.
- Freezes properly for grab-and-go dinners!
What You Want
As with my sourdough bread, you solely want a couple of (6, to be precise!) primary substances to make in the present day’s recipe. Along with the substances mentioned under, you’ll additionally want any toppings you’d like. Pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil are frequent toppings, however we make all the pieces from margherita pizza to bbq hen pizza with ours!
- Sourdough starter. Your starter ought to be energetic and bubbly–if it isn’t but, don’t use it! Don’t have a starter already? Try my publish on the best way to make a sourdough starter! It breaks down each step (with photographs) so you can also make your personal at dwelling. It’s surprisingly very straightforward!
- Olive oil. This retains the pizza dough good and chewy. Although we’re solely utilizing a small quantity, I like to recommend utilizing additional virgin olive oil for the perfect taste.
- Honey. Pizza dough has a status for being bland, however between the sourdough taste and a little bit of honey for sweetness, this dough is tremendous flavorful.
- Heat water. Make certain your water is between 90-100F earlier than including it. For those who don’t have a kitchen thermometer, I extremely suggest this one.
- Bread flour. Bread flour has the next protein content material than all-purpose, which makes it best for pizza dough. The additional protein creates extra gluten and yields a chewier crust than its all-purpose counterpart. All-purpose flour may work in a pinch, however it is going to yield fluffier outcomes.
- Salt. Salt is crucial for taste, particularly on this recipe with so few substances.
SAM’S TIP: You possibly can improve the hydration on this dough by bumping the water up one other ⅓ cup. For those who do that, you’ll get a thicker dough that may be a bit simpler to kind a crust on; nonetheless, it is going to be very crisp. Personally, I like utilizing quantities listed within the recipe as a result of it strikes the proper stability between crispness and chew (and all of my style testers agreed).
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
How you can Make Sourdough Pizza Crust
Making the Dough
- Stir collectively the moist substances till mixed.
- Add the dry substances and stir till the dough clings collectively (the dough might be shaggy, don’t overdo it).
- Autolyse. Cowl the dough and let it sit for 30-60 minutes. This lets our flour hydrate and our starter begins breaking down the starches within the dough.
- Kind the dough right into a ball utilizing your arms.
Stretch & Fold
Stretching and folding is often utilized in sourdough recipes. It’s an alternative choice to kneading (which is frequent with basic yeast recipes, like my home made bread, however can be troublesome with such a high-hydration dough as this one). It improves the construction of the crust and helps the gluten develop.
- Run your arms beneath cool water earlier than stretching the highest of the dough up and over the underside. Rotate the bowl 90 levels and repeat this course of a complete of 4 occasions.
- Cowl the dough and let it relaxation for half-hour, repeating the stretch and fold course of each half-hour till the dough will increase in dimension by about 50%.
- Divide the dough into two items and place in flippantly oiled bowls (the dough will want a little bit of room to rise).
- Cowl with plastic and let relaxation within the fridge in a single day or as much as 3 days. Carry the dough out of the fridge to take a seat at room temperature no less than half an hour earlier than utilizing (chilly dough is harder to form, it could possibly sit at room temperature for as much as a number of hours earlier than you employ it).
SAM’S TIP: Give your oven no less than half-hour to preheat to 500F! My oven notoriously tells me it’s prepared when the temperature isn’t truly at 500F, so give it time and when you have an oven thermometer, use it! You need your oven to be good and HOT for crispy outcomes.
Baking the Crust
- Place the dough onto a flippantly oiled pizza pan and kind it right into a 10-12″ circle.
- Kind a crust along with your arms, then brush the pizza with olive oil and pierce all around the backside with a fork.
- Bake in a 500F oven for 8-9 minutes, then take away and brush with extra olive oil.
- Add your toppings and bake for an extra 8-11 minutes (depends upon your oven; search for a golden crust and melty, bubbly cheese!).
SAM’S TIP: I wish to make my sourdough pizza crust in bulk, sometimes 3 batches at a time (giving me 6 pizzas). I’ll then par-bake them and freeze them for later. This makes for handy last-minute or weekday meals!
Continuously Requested Questions
This recipe makes two 10-12” pizzas. The crust is skinny and the pizzas aren’t enormous, so I’d say every pizza may feed 4 folks relying on their urge for food and the perimeters you serve with it (home made garlic knots are all the time a good suggestion!).
Sure! To do that, observe the recipe by the par-baking step, then cool, wrap in plastic, and freeze for a number of months. When able to get pleasure from, let the crust thaw at room temperature, brush with olive oil (no less than in an ideal world it’s best to brush with olive oil once more — I all the time overlook!), add your toppings, and bake.
Sourdough pizza is less complicated to digest and has extra vitamins, nutritional vitamins, and good micro organism than common pizza crust. Bear in mind, sourdough pizza remains to be NOT thought of well being meals when topped with a lot of cheese or different indulgent toppings (similar to my sourdough pancakes).
How do you want this sourdough pizza crust vs my conventional home made pizza dough? Let me know within the feedback!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! For those who do that recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Pizza Crust
Servings: 2 10” pizzas
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Mix sourdough starter, water, olive oil and honey in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir till well-combined.
½ cup energetic sourdough starter, 1 cup heat, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons honey
Add flour and salt and stir till you could have a shaggy dough that adheres collectively. Cowl with plastic wrap and permit it to take a seat for 30-60 minutes (autolyse).
2 ¾ cups + 2 Tablespoons bread flour, 1 teaspoon salt
Stretch & Fold
Use your arms to kind the dough right into a ball within the bowl.
Run your arms beneath cool water and grasp the highest of the dough and stretch it over the underside. Flip the dough 90 levels and repeat this course of. Do that twice extra till you could have made your approach all the best way across the dough.
Permit dough to relaxation, lined, in a heat place for half-hour.
Repeat step 2 each half-hour till dough has elevated in dimension about 50%. I discover this sometimes takes about 3-4 hours for me.
Divide dough into two items and place every in a flippantly oiled bowl. Cowl with plastic wrap and switch to the fridge to relaxation in a single day or as much as 3 days.
Meeting & Baking
Take away dough from fridge and depart it lined to relaxation at room temperature for no less than half-hour and as much as a number of hours. Preheat your oven to 500F (250C).
As soon as oven is preheated, flippantly oil a pizza pan with olive oil.
End up the pizza dough onto the ready pan and use your arms to softly form it right into a 10-12” (28cm) circle (it is going to be pretty skinny). Fold over or pinch the sides to kind a crust.
Brush the pizza throughout with olive oil and use a fork to pierce the underside throughout.
Extra olive oil for brushing pizza
Switch pizza to 500F (250C) oven and bake for 8-9 minutes.
Take away pizza from oven and brush another time with a lightweight layer of olive oil, then add your toppings.
Pizza toppings: pizza sauce
Return to the oven and bake one other 8-11 minutes, till crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Pizza dough will maintain within the fridge for a number of days.
If I wish to have pizza crusts able to go, I’ll observe the recipe by step 10 (par-baking the crust) then enable it to chill, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as a number of months. When prepared to make use of, merely thaw (or partially thaw) within the plastic wrap at room temperature then proceed with the recipe from step 11 (brush with oil, add toppings and bake).
Serving: 110″ pizza | Energy: 761kcal | Carbohydrates: 142g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5g | Sodium: 1173mg | Potassium: 176mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 0.04mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.