These Sourdough Crackers have an unbelievable taste, because of sourdough discard. They’re skinny, crisp, and easy to make with simply 7 elements!
Sourdough Discard Crackers
Mild, crisp, and SO flavorful, sourdough crackers are a easy, but considerate snack. My recipe is made with sourdough discard, which suggests you’ll get a number of the well being advantages from sourdough whereas on the similar time lowering your meals waste (I principally hold a zero-waste sourdough starter in my home, I exploit the discard in the whole lot!). Win win!
My sourdough discard crackers have a deep, distinctive taste, and they’re a more healthy different to your customary cheese crackers. Whereas they’re completely wonderful to take pleasure in on their very own (and an excellent snack for youths), it’s also possible to pair them with cheeses and meats on a charcuterie board, serve them alongside your favourite dip (I vote for spinach artichoke dip!), or crumble them over a bowl of soup.
3 issues to like about my recipe:
- Easy: simply 7 elements!
- Flavorful: tangy and sophisticated taste, with out the necessity for sugar.
- Nutritious: Because of entire wheat flour and sourdough discard.
What You Want
I really like how easy and unassuming the ingredient record seems. Every part you want is so primary, however the taste is admittedly unparalleled (I like these even higher than my cheddar-filled cheese crackers, in order that’s saying one thing!). Simply 7 easy elements:
- Sourdough discard. That is what you discard earlier than feeding your sourdough starter. Be sure to are utilizing discard from a starter that’s at the least every week previous; I don’t advocate utilizing it earlier than that point.
- Flour. I like to make use of a mixture of entire wheat flour and common all-purpose flour. This provides the crackers a stunning taste, colour, and a few well being advantages too!
- Oil. We’ll brush our sourdough crackers with olive oil earlier than baking. This helps crisp them up and encourages a lightweight golden brown end.
- Butter. Soften your butter, then let it settle down a bit earlier than including it. Be certain that to make use of unsalted butter, since we’re including desk salt into the dough and kosher salt on prime of the crackers earlier than baking! I completely love the flavour that the butter provides to those crackers, I believe it’s what units them other than each store-bought model I’ve ever tried.
SAM’S TIP: Don’t wish to bake your sourdough crackers straight away? You may let the dough chill within the fridge for two days with out problem. Simply know that in case you do that, the dough can be fairly agency and can seemingly want to sit down at room temperature for at the least 10-Quarter-hour earlier than it’s delicate sufficient to roll out.
Be aware that that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
How you can Make Sourdough Discard Crackers
- Stir collectively the discard, flours, butter, and desk salt till effectively mixed. Dough ought to be clinging to itself and nearly Play-Do like in consistency. If the dough is simply too sticky to deal with, add extra flour, a Tablespoon at a time, till it’s manageable.
- Divide the dough into two items and type every right into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap or parchment paper and chill within the fridge for at the least half-hour.
- Unwrap one disk and roll to ⅛″ thickness on a evenly floured floor. Switch to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Prick the dough throughout with a fork, brush with olive oil, after which lower into 2″ squares. I exploit a pizza cutter for this step, it provides me good straight strains. And in case you’d like smaller crackers, by all means, lower your squares smaller!
- Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt (or one other seasoning of your alternative, the whole lot bagel seasoning is one other nice possibility!).
- Bake at 375 till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes. Repeat with the second disk of dough.
SAM’S TIP: Be certain that to roll your dough to a constant thinness so your sourdough crackers bake uniformly.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Sliced cheeses and meats, hummus, pepperoni pizza dip, and bacon jalapeño popper dip are only a few of my favourite pairings. You would additionally eat them as a fast (however filling!) snack with some tuna or hen salad–sort of like a deconstructed sandwich!
After all, crackers are additionally a traditional pairing with soups, particularly tomato soup, and these sourdough discard crackers aren’t any exception.
In case your sourdough discard crackers are delicate whereas they’re nonetheless heat, this isn’t essentially an issue. Nevertheless, if they’ve cooled utterly and are nonetheless delicate, they could be a contact underbaked. Simply pop them again into the oven for a couple of minutes, and they need to crisp up!
There are numerous recipes that may deplete your discard so that you don’t must throw it away. I like to make use of mine to make sourdough pancakes, brownies, banana bread, and chocolate chip cookies (recipes coming quickly!).
Wish to add much more taste to your sourdough crackers? Swap the kosher salt topping with some the whole lot bagel seasoning (recipe coming quickly)!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe beneath! In case you do that recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Sourdough Crackers (Made with Discard)
Servings: 55 2″ crackers
Stop your display screen from going darkish
In a big mixing bowl, mix sourdough discard, each flours, melted butter, and desk salt.
1 cup (220 g) sourdough discard, ¾ cup (95 g) all-purpose flour, ½ cup (60 g) entire wheat flour, 6 Tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, 1 scant teaspoon desk salt
Stir till effectively mixed. If dough may be very sticky, add a bit extra flour till it’s manageable.
Divide dough into two items and type every right into a disk. Wrap every half in plastic wrap and chill for at the least half-hour.
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Take away one disk of dough from fridge and unwrap.
Place on a evenly floured floor and use a rolling pin to roll dough to be below ⅛” thick (
Frivolously brush throughout with olive oil, then use a pizza wheel or pastry cutter to chop into 2” squares (no have to separate the crackers).
Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Switch to heart rack of 375F (190C) oven and bake till mild golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Olive oil, Kosher salt
Repeat steps 5-8 with second disk of dough.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 weeks.
Serving: 12″ cracker | Energy: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 0.5g | Fats: 1g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 0.3g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 0.3mg | Potassium: 6mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 0.01g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Calcium: 1mg | Iron: 0.1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.