This seeded oat bread is crusty on the skin, chewy on the within, and has essentially the most scrumptious crunch in each chunk, due to all of the seeds. It is a hearty loaf that may stand as much as any meal, from thick and chunky stews to delicate poached eggs. You’ll use a simple no-knead technique to make this yeast bread, which produces a stupendous do-it-yourself loaf with minimal hands-on work.
This recipe is dropped at you in partnership with Red Star Yeast.
You know those gorgeous seed-encrusted loaves of bread you see in bakery windows?
The kind that look like they took ages to make, and you wonder how much kneading, shaping, and work went into just 1 loaf? Well, you can make those same beautiful seeded loaves right at home, with hardly any work involved. No kneading, no complex shaping, no mixer needed.
Yes, this crusty, chewy, golden-brown, seed-speckled oat bread doesn’t require any complicated work.
This bread, like my homemade cranberry nut bread and olive bread, will convince anyone that you either bought it from a bakery or spent all day in the kitchen making it—which, of course, you didn’t. Don’t feel like you have to let them in on our little secret. 😉
Hearty Homemade Bread for Beginners
This texture-lover’s seeded oat bread recipe is based off of my homemade artisan bread, a wonderfully easy and widely popular no-knead bread that’s used by both beginners and experts.
If you’re nervous to try homemade bread, this recipe is a great introduction. Even though the recipe is easy, the bread does NOT skimp on flavor. It’s just a simple way of baking homemade bread inspired by the no-knead technique originating from bread expert Jim Lahey.
Right here’s why it’s so easy:
- Completely no kneading (similar to do-it-yourself English muffins!)
- Zero sophisticated shaping
- No mixer required
- 90% of the time is completely fingers off
- Dough can relaxation within the fridge for as much as 3 days—an incredible make-ahead recipe
- Can bake in a dutch oven or on a baking sheet
The trick is giving the risen dough a relaxation within the fridge. The cool air slows the fermentation course of and helps develop higher taste.
Seize These Components:
Right here’s why every ingredient is so necessary:
- Bread Flour: Whilst you might use all-purpose flour on this recipe, I strongly suggest utilizing bread flour. Bread flour produces a stronger, chewier bread, and that makes an enormous distinction in an artisan-style loaf like this oat bread.
- Oats: Oats present somewhat healthful texture. Because the dough rises, the oats absorb some moisture and develop. Entire rolled oats are finest, however you should utilize fast oats if wanted.
- Salt: I like to recommend utilizing coarse sea salt as a result of I discover the bread’s taste missing with common desk salt.
- Instantaneous Yeast: I all the time use Platinum Yeast by Purple Star, which is an instantaneous yeast (aka “fast rise” yeast). 2 teaspoons is rather less than 1 normal packet. (If utilizing energetic dry yeast, there aren’t any modifications wanted to the recipe. The rise time could take barely longer.) I exploit extra yeast on this recipe in comparison with my cranberry nut bread and jalapeño cheddar bread. Why? These doughs relaxation and rise at room temperature. Nonetheless, for extra taste and simply as a lot rise, I exploit extra yeast and let this dough relaxation within the fridge.
- Seeds: Pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds are all extremely nutritious—they’re just about superfoods. I like that these 3 varieties of seeds differ a lot in measurement and texture, however if you happen to’d like to alter up the varieties of seeds on this combination, go for it. I exploit a medley of seeds on this multigrain bread, too.
- Honey: Honey helps give this bread a springy, spongey texture. It additionally provides somewhat sweetness, however we’re utilizing half as a lot honey right here than in my honey oat bread recipe, so the bread isn’t tremendous candy.
- Water: You’ll additionally want somewhat heat water to deliver all of the components collectively. I exploit cool, room temperature water in olive bread and artisan do-it-yourself bread, two different no-knead doughs, however with the addition of oats at this time, the yeast has to work tougher, and heat water helps it work faster.
Let Me Present You How one can Make This Seeded Bread
The complete written recipe is under, however use the next explanations and step photographs that will help you get began. Convey the dough components collectively as instructed within the recipe. At first the dough will appear very dry and shaggy and also you’ll query if it’ll even come collectively. It can. Actually, the dough is somewhat sticky after it has been completely blended:
Let it rise. Cowl the dough and let it rise at room temperature for about 3 hours. Discover that the dough rises OUT greater than it rises UP. That’s okay.
You’ll be able to transfer on to shaping and baking the dough, however for finest taste, I strongly suggest refrigerating the risen dough, even when it’s only for a pair hours. I normally refrigerate it for 12 hours.
After the dough rises and rests within the fridge, use generously floured fingers to form the dough right into a spherical boule or ball-like form.
Use a Baking Sheet or Dutch Oven
Baking the seeded oat bread in a lined dutch oven traps steam contained in the pot, creating that good crispy crust. Should you plan to bake a number of bread sooner or later, you gained’t remorse shopping for a dutch oven. Should you don’t have a dutch oven, a nonstick baking sheet is finest. (I exploit a baking sheet within the video tutorial under. And actually have a trick for making a steamy oven!)
- Baking Sheet: Should you’re utilizing a baking sheet, mud the pan with cornmeal and/or somewhat flour. Place the dough on prime, cowl it, and let it relaxation because the oven preheats. You will discover these detailed directions within the recipe under, together with my optionally available steamy oven trick for a crispy crust in step 10. (Including boiled water to a pan beneath the baking bread. Works nice!)
- Dutch Oven: Place the empty dutch oven with lid within the oven because it preheats. Place the ball of dough on high-heat-resistant parchment paper (I exploit this parchment paper), after which match it inside a bowl. Cowl and let the dough relaxation because the oven preheats, then place it (with the parchment) within the scorching dutch oven earlier than baking. You will discover these detailed directions within the recipe Word under.
Whichever baking technique you employ, don’t overlook so as to add seeds/oats to the outside of the dough (I normally simply press them on). And be sure to rating the dough with a bread lame or sharp knife earlier than baking. Scoring permits the moist, ethereal dough to “breathe” because it expands and bakes.
Baking sheet technique:
Dutch oven technique:
The bread is unbelievable when it’s contemporary from the oven—heat, crispy, crusty, mushy, and loaded with texture in and out!
What Do I Serve With Seeded Bread?
Actually, it’s implausible plain, with a swipe of butter or a dip-dish of olive oil. The bread would even be scrumptious paired with do-it-yourself basil pesto or do-it-yourself honey butter.
However I particularly love serving this seeded oat bread alongside a soup, like this creamy rooster noodle soup or do-it-yourself alphabet soup. It additionally offers phenomenal texture to grilled cheese sandwiches, and makes a hearty base for creamy smashed avocado and mushy eggs.
Should you handle to have any leftover, make use of the stale bread on this simple breakfast casserole!
Observe this simple no-knead recipe for a hearty loaf of do-it-yourself seeded oat bread. Overview Notes earlier than starting. Should you’re new to working with yeast, reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to widespread yeast FAQs.
- Watch the video under earlier than you start, and let that be your visible information for this recipe.
- In a big un-greased mixing bowl, whisk the flour and yeast collectively. Add the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and salt and whisk to mix. Combine the honey and water collectively, after which pour over the dry components. Utilizing a rubber spatula or wood spoon, gently combine collectively. The dough will appear dry and shaggy, however hold working it till all of the flour is moistened. If wanted, use your fingers to work the dough components collectively. The dough will probably be very sticky. Form right into a ball within the bowl as finest you’ll be able to. (Tip: Stir dough by hand. Dough is simply too sticky for a mixer.)
- Conserving the dough within the bowl, cowl the dough tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and set on the counter at room temperature (truthfully any regular room temperature is ok). Permit to rise for 3 hours. The dough will nearly double in measurement, stick with the edges of the bowl, and have a number of air bubbles.
- You’ll be able to proceed with step 5 instantly, however for best possible taste and texture, I strongly suggest letting this risen dough relaxation within the fridge for not less than 12 hours and as much as 3 days. (Even only a couple hours is sweet!) Place lined dough within the fridge for as much as 3 days. The dough will puff up throughout this time, however might start to deflate after 2 days. That’s regular and nothing to fret about.
- Frivolously mud a big nonstick baking sheet (with or with out rims, and ensure it’s nonstick) with somewhat flour and/or cornmeal. Utilizing generously floured fingers and mild stress in order to not deflate the dough an excessive amount of, form the risen dough right into a ball. (I simply do that proper contained in the bowl it’s in, or you are able to do this on a frivolously floured work floor.) Dough may be very sticky.
- Switch ball to ready baking sheet. Combine topping components collectively. Sprinkle on prime of dough, and if the seeds aren’t sticking, press them into the dough as finest you’ll be able to. Loosely cowl and permit dough to relaxation for 45 minutes. You’ll bake the dough on this ready baking sheet. See recipe observe if you wish to use a pizza stone or dutch oven.
- Throughout this 45 minutes, preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- When able to bake, utilizing a really sharp knife or bread lame (you can even use kitchen shears), rating the dough with a slash or X about 1/2 inch deep. (“Rating” = shallow minimize.) If the formed loaf flattened out in the course of the 45 minutes, use floured fingers to reshape.
- Place the formed and scored dough (on the flour/cornmeal-dusted pan) within the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Non-obligatory for a barely crispier crust: Place a shallow steel or forged iron baking pan or skillet (I normally use a steel 9×13-inch baking pan) on the underside oven rack. Rigorously and shortly pour 3–4 cups of boiling water into the shallow pan. Shortly shut the oven to lure as a lot steam inside. The steam helps create a crispier crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till the crust is golden brown. Should you discover the outside browning too shortly, tent the bread with aluminum foil. How one can check for doneness: Give the nice and cozy bread a lightweight faucet. If it sounds hole, it’s completed. For a extra correct check, the bread is completed when an instant read thermometer reads the middle of the loaf as 195°F (90°C).
- Take away the bread from the oven and permit to chill for not less than 10–20 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Retailer leftovers loosely lined at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as 10 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: The dough can sit within the fridge for as much as 3 days (step 4), so this can be a fantastic recipe to start forward of time. You too can bake the bread, enable it to chill, and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge and permit to come back to room temperature earlier than serving. You too can freeze the dough. Full the recipe by step 5. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-friendly container. Freeze as much as 3 months. To bake, enable dough to thaw in a single day within the fridge, or for two–3 hours at room temperature. Proceed with step 6, together with permitting dough to relaxation for 45 minutes earlier than baking. Remember that the bread tastes somewhat heavier after freezing/thawing the dough after which baking it.
- Flour: For best possible taste and chewy texture, I strongly suggest utilizing bread flour. You need to use a 1:1 substitution of all-purpose flour in a pinch with no different modifications to the recipe. I like to recommend avoiding complete wheat flour on this dough; nonetheless, if crucial, you’ll be able to exchange as much as 1 cup (about 130g) of the bread flour with complete wheat flour. The bread will style a bit heavy.
- Yeast: I all the time use Platinum Yeast from Purple Star, an instantaneous yeast. You need to use any instantaneous yeast on this dough. If utilizing energetic dry yeast, the first rise time is normally barely longer, about 3.5–4 hours. Reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to widespread yeast FAQs.
- Salt: Use a rough salt, resembling coarse sea salt, on this bread. I discover the flavour barely missing when utilizing common desk salt. Should you solely have desk or advantageous salt, cut back to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons.
- Seeds: Be happy to make use of extra/much less of a selected seed you like, or skip any seeds if you want. Round 1/2 cup of bigger seeds and a pair of Tablespoons of smaller seeds is good. I normally use unsalted pepitas and salted sunflower seeds. Salted or unsalted are advantageous, however I don’t suggest 1/2 cup of salted seeds, so if you wish to use salted, use 1/4 cup of salted and 1/4 cup unsalted. If you wish to add poppy seeds, exchange 1 Tablespoon of flax seeds/sesame seeds with poppy seeds. Or simply use 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds and skip the flax/sesame.
- Utilizing a Dutch Oven: You want a 6-quart or bigger dutch oven or any giant oven-safe pot with a lid. The baking course of will probably be much like this cranberry nut bread. Put together dough recipe above by step 4, together with refrigerating the risen dough for not less than 2 hours. After refrigerating, flip the dough out onto a frivolously floured work floor and, utilizing frivolously floured fingers, form right into a ball as finest you’ll be able to. Doesn’t should be good. Switch dough to a big piece of parchment paper. (Giant sufficient to suit inside your pot and one that’s protected below such excessive warmth. I exploit this parchment and it’s by no means been a difficulty.) Raise the parchment paper and dough up and place all of it into a big mixing bowl. Cowl dough frivolously with plastic wrap and go away alone for half-hour. Throughout this half-hour, preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Place your dutch oven (with the lid) inside for half-hour in order that it’s extraordinarily scorching earlier than the dough is positioned inside. After half-hour, sprinkle seed topping throughout dough. Utilizing a bread lame or sharp knife, gently rating a 1/2-inch-deep slash or X into the highest. Take away the dutch oven from the oven and punctiliously place the dough inside by lifting it up with the parchment paper and inserting all of it—parchment paper included—contained in the pot. Cowl with the lid. Bake for half-hour with the lid on. Rigorously take away the lid and proceed baking for 10 extra minutes or till the bread is golden brown. You’ll be able to check for doneness precisely how you’d in step 11 above. Take away pot from the oven, rigorously take away the bread from the pot, and permit to chill on a wire rack for 10–20 minutes earlier than slicing/serving.
- Utilizing a Pizza Stone: If you wish to bake your bread on a pizza stone, place pizza stone within the preheating oven. Take away scorching pizza stone, mud with cornmeal or somewhat flour, after which switch formed and scored dough to scorching pizza stone and bake as directed.
- No Nonstick Pan? Should you don’t have a nonstick baking sheet, line it with parchment paper as an alternative. Coat with a dusting of flour and/or cornmeal earlier than inserting the dough on prime. Parchment paper can burn, so it’s finest to verify the field to see how a lot warmth yours can tolerate. Decrease your oven warmth if crucial, and bake the bread for longer till it’s golden brown and sounds hole when tapped.
Key phrases: seeded oat bread
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a number of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.