I’ve made this pasta a thousand occasions. Again after I was twenty and twenty-two, I didn’t have a lot of a funds for entertaining however nonetheless needed to have my pals over for dinner so I virtually at all times made pasta as a result of it’s an affordable option to feed folks. 9 out of ten occasions, I made a variation of my favourite sausage medallion pasta. It’s really easy to make!
The tactic right here is easy: caramelize onions in butter, then pan-fry sausage slices. It’s okay if the pan begins to show brown. Free taste! Add canned fire-roasted tomatoes and a few pasta water, salt and pepper, quite a lot of herbs and parmesan, and toss with noodles for essentially the most scrumptious stress-free dinner. I suppose you would use wine or rooster broth as a substitute of pasta water however I don’t know what to inform you, that is how I at all times make it and it’s at all times successful.
Little identified truth about me: I like sausage and I actually love slicing sausage into medallions. I really feel prefer it’s changing into a little bit of a signature transfer of mine. (I can’t, as an illustration, eat fondue with out pan-fried sausage medallions.) I at all times have sausage packages in my freezer. They thaw rapidly (I pull this bundle out within the morning and it was thawed by dinner) and sausage stays recent for for much longer than different meats, so I believe it’s a useful factor to have within the kitchen. Currently I’ve been gobbling up packages and packages of Kiolbassa sausage, handmade by the Kiolbassa household because the Forties. I used their beef smoked sausage on this specific night time and it gave the pasta a beautiful taste.
That is the right factor for newbie cooks to cook dinner as a result of sausage is absolutely cooked so there’s no “is the rooster executed?!” drama. It positively boosted my confidence within the kitchen and nonetheless, a decade later, I cook dinner this a number of occasions a month. (And but someway, it’s by no means appeared on The Rose Desk till now!) I typically add zucchini slices when the onions are virtually caramelized. Generally I add garlic. Generally I exploit oregano as a substitute of basil. Generally I’ll throw in some spinach. However the sausage, tomatoes, onions, and the tactic is at all times the identical and it’s at all times scrumptious.
With out additional delay, right here is my favourite go-to pasta. I hope you’re keen on making this as a lot as I do!
Sausage Medallion Pasta
3 Tbsp Butter
1 white onion
1/2 field Pasta (penne, farfalle, Cavatappi, or one thing related)
2 sausages (I used Kiolbasa polish sausage right here)
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
1/4 cup pasta water (rooster broth or wine can also be good!)
1 Tbsp recent Italian Parsley
1 Tbsp recent basil
- Minimize an onion in half, reduce off the ends, and thinly slice the onion. In a big skillet, sauté onions low and gradual in butter till properly caramelized. (Generally I’ll rush this in a pinch however I typically preserve it on low for an hour if I’ve the time!)
- Boil pasta in salted water in response to bundle directions.
- Whereas the pasta is boiling, slice sausages. Push the now caramelized onions to the sides of the pan, add a little bit of of olive oil to the middle (not even half a tablespoon), add sausage medallions, and switch up the top barely. Prepare dinner for a couple of minutes till browned, then flip and cook dinner for just a few extra minutes.
- When sausage is browned, add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Dip into the pasta water with a 1/4 cup measure and add 1/4 of pasta water to the skillet. (The starch from the water will assist the sauce stick with the pasta.) Salt and pepper to style and add chopped Italian parsley, julienned basil, and parmesan.
- If wanted, add one other tablespoon or two of pasta water to the skillet to verify it’s good and sauce. Drain the pasta. Regulate salt/pepper/parmesan accordingly, then flip off the top and add the cooked pasta to the skillet. Rigorously stir within the pasta. Prime with extra parmesan and an enormous sprig of basil if you wish to be actually fancy.
Find it irresistible? Pin it!