This scrumptious Italian roasted cherry tomato pasta is the right summer time pasta dish. It delivers many candy and recent summer time flavors whereas solely taking 45 minutes to make.
Once I first noticed this recipe from Puglia for roasted cherry tomato pasta, I simply needed to rush out to purchase the elements so I might cook dinner it instantly! It was love at first chunk and I’ve made it various instances since. It is a good summer time pasta dish.
This roasted tomato orecchiette pasta recipe comes from Bari in Puglia and is usually referred to as ‘alla Barese’. Nonetheless, there are a selection of different pasta recipes from Puglia or completely different variations of pasta with roasted tomatoes additionally referred to as ‘alla Barese’. Like this recipe for a pasta salad.
Since orecchiette pasta is quintessentially Apulian, it’s the good pasta companion for this sauce. This time spherical, we really made the orecchiette ourselves!
In some recipes for this dish, as soon as the pasta is combined with the sauce, it’s put within the oven or underneath the grill to make the highest crispy. I didn’t do that once I first served it, however I did it with the leftovers! All I can say is YUMMY!! This dish can be eaten tepid or chilly, making it a beautiful summer time recipe.
You’ll solely want a handful of elements for this roasted tomato pasta recipe. Most of those are simple to supply. Plus, the marginally extra distinctive elements like ricotta salata and pecorino romano have some simpler to supply alternate options that can be utilized.
- Pasta: For this recipe I used home made orecchiette pasta which was scrumptious. You may as well use recent or dried orecchiette which can also be conventional. Another pasta alternate options embrace penne and intrecci, however be at liberty to make use of what you’ve got available.
- Tomatoes: Use a mixture of purple and yellow cherry tomatoes. This may add a scrumptious sweetness and coloration to the pasta recipe. Should you can’t supply each purple and yellow simply utilizing purple works too. One other different for yellow cherry tomatoes are yellow datterini tomatoes.
- Garlic Cloves: I used two cloves of garlic within the roasting course of which added an fragrant, depth of taste. Use recent and agency garlic cloves for the very best outcomes.
- Contemporary Basil: Go for recent basil and never dried basil. It provides a beautiful fragrant and recent taste that enhances the cherry tomatoes properly.
- Oregano: Use dried Mediterranean oregano. This provides a complementary sturdy, earthy taste to the pasta dish.
- Onion: I’ve made this recipe with each purple and yellow onions earlier than; each are scrumptious! So choose what you’ve got available.
- Breadcrumbs: Use a sprinkling of breadcrumbs on the tomatoes earlier than roasting them; this provides an additional dimension of texture.
- Pecorino Romano: Pecorino provides a salty, tangy and savory taste to the recipe. The extra mature the Pecorino Romano you employ, the extra depth of taste it provides. An alternative to it’s Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano.
- Ricotta Salata: Salata is a variant of ricotta cheese that has been pressed, salted, and dried for a minimum of 90 days. Its texture is firmer than typical ricotta, and it has a salty, barely tangy taste. Should you can’t supply ricotta salata, aged feta is usually a appropriate substitute.
- Salt & Pepper: Use salt and pepper on the finish of the recipe to style and season the recipe.
- Additional Virgin Olive Oil: Use good high quality olive oil as the flavour will add extra depth to the recipe.
Comply with these skilled tricks to make the very best roasted cherry tomato pasta potential.
Preheat the Oven: Preheating the oven is a vital step that can assist the cherry tomatoes caramelize higher and cease them from stewing as a lot of their juices. This may assist their taste change into sweeter whereas sustaining extra texture.
Roasting Cherry Tomatoes: That is one in all my favourite cherry tomato roasting suggestions. Roast the cherry tomatoes lower facet up. This may assist the cherry tomatoes retain lots of their candy juices that may then be used to coat the pasta.
Pasta Cooked Al Dente: Cook dinner your pasta to al dente to provide the recipe extra texture. Al dente pasta is necessary on this recipe as it can add extra distinction towards the cooked cherry tomatoes.
Baking Sheet to Scale back Clear-Up: Should you’re nervous about charring your new baking dish, add a bit of baking pepper beneath. This may cease the sugars from the tomatoes and greens from doubtlessly charring the underside of the baking dish.
Step by Step Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
2) In an oven-safe dish, mix the onion, garlic, some basil leaves, oregano, and tomatoes (with the lower facet up).
2) Drizzle the mixed elements with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to style.
3) Sprinkle the tomatoes with breadcrumbs and grated Pecorino Romano.
4) Place the cherry tomatoes within the preheated oven at 355°F (180°C) and roast for about half-hour.
4) Whereas the tomatoes are roasting, carry a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt as soon as the water begins to boil, then let the water return to a boil. Cook dinner the pasta within the boiling salted water till it’s al dente, following the package deal directions for timing.
Word: When utilizing recent or home made pasta it often doesn’t take very lengthy to cook dinner.
5) As soon as the tomatoes are prepared, take away the garlic cloves from the oven dish. Switch the roasted tomatoes and pasta to a giant baking dish or serving dish.
6) Combine all of the elements collectively properly within the dish.
7) Serve with a sprinkle of grated ricotta salata and a few extra chopped basil leaves.
Storage and Leftovers
This dish tastes finest if you eat it proper after it’s made. However you probably have leftovers, you possibly can put them in a sealed container and retailer them within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You’ll be able to eat this pasta dish chilly or sizzling, it’s as much as you.
If you wish to reheat it, you’ve got two choices. First, you possibly can add it into an oven-safe dish with extra breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese on high and warmth it underneath the grill till it’s sizzling. Or, for a faster means is to reheat it lined within the microwave till sizzling.
An aged feta cheese or much more Pecorino Romano can be utilized as substitutes.
Whereas cherry tomatoes are really helpful for his or her sweetness, you possibly can use different small tomatoes like datterini or grape tomatoes. If utilizing bigger tomatoes, ensure to chop them into smaller items to make sure they roast evenly.
You need to use any oven-safe dish for roasting the tomatoes, however a ceramic or glass baking dish is preferable. These supplies don’t conduct warmth as shortly as steel, permitting for extra even roasting.
Sure, use your favourite gluten-free pasta and guarantee your breadcrumbs are additionally gluten-free.
Sure, this dish may be made vegan by omitting the cheeses or changing them with vegan alternate options.
Extra tomato pasta recipes to strive
Should you make this roasted cherry tomato pasta recipe I’d love to listen to the way it seems and in the event you preferred it. Please depart a remark right here on the weblog or on The Pasta Project Facebook page. Trying ahead to listening to from you.
Roasted Cherry Tomato Orecchiette Pasta
This tasty Italian pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes is the best dish for summer time. It is filled with candy and refreshing flavors typical of the season, and the very best half? It solely takes 45 minutes to organize.
- 14 oz orecchiette home made or recent is best
- 35 cherry tomatoes lower in half (I used purple & yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 handful recent basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 oz pecorino Romano grated
- 2 oz ricotta salata grated
- salt for pasta and to style
- pepper to style
- 3-4 tbsp additional virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
In an oven-safe dish, mix the onion, garlic, some basil leaves, oregano, and tomatoes (with the lower facet up).
Drizzle the mixed elements with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to style. Sprinkle the tomatoes with breadcrumbs and grated Pecorino Romano.
Place the cherry tomatoes within the preheated oven at 355°F (180°C) and roast for about half-hour.
Whereas the tomatoes are roasting, carry a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt as soon as the water begins to boil, then let the water return to a boil. Cook dinner the pasta within the boiling salted water till it’s al dente, following the package deal directions for timing.
As soon as the tomatoes are prepared, take away the garlic cloves from the oven dish. Switch the roasted tomatoes and pasta to a giant baking dish or serving dish.
Combine all of the elements collectively properly within the dish. Serve with a sprinkle of grated ricotta salata and a few extra chopped basil leaves.
- You need to use several types of pasta for this recipe. Though orecchiette is conventional, you possibly can experiment with different shapes like penne, intrecci or in accordance with what you’ve got available or choose.
- Take into account that Pecorino Romano cheese is often made with animal rennet, which implies it’s not appropriate for vegetarians. Should you’re serving this dish to vegetarians, you possibly can substitute Pecorino with a vegetarian parmesan.
- This dish is ideal to eat proper after you make it. However you probably have leftovers, you possibly can retailer them in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as three days.
- There are two good choices for reheating leftovers. One conventional means is so as to add the pasta into an oven-safe dish with extra breadcrumbs and Pecorino Romano cheese on high and warmth it underneath the grill till sizzling. A fast methodology is to reheat it lined within the microwave till sizzling.
Energy: 636kcalCarbohydrates: 94gProtein: 23gFats: 19gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 22mgSodium: 305mgPotassium: 660mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1017IUVitamin C: 37mgCalcium: 265mgIron: 4mg
Pin for Later:
In case you are fascinated with studying learn how to make several types of home made pasta and several types of gnocchi, try my store web page for some nice video on-line programs from my mates in Rome! Nothing beats studying to make pasta from Italians!
Plus whilst you’re there why not order a replica of one in all my pasta recipe cookbooks or checkout some really helpful pasta making instruments? All nice prezzies for pasta lovers!