Quiche Lorraine combines savory egg custard with crisp, flaky pie crust. My recipe is made with bacon, onions, and cheese for the BEST taste! Be at liberty to customise together with your favourite add-ins. Recipe features a step-by-step how-to video.
The BEST Quiche Recipe
This quiche Lorraine recipe involves you by e-mail request from reader Mary Jo G.! I at all times respect your recipe requests and attempt to make them as I’m ready, so please maintain sending them in. This was a enjoyable one!
Why you must attempt it:
- Clean, virtually custardy texture due to a mixture of eggs and heavy cream (I do embrace directions for substituting some milk although!). The filling is wealthy and creamy with out being cloying or too heavy in your abdomen.
- Customizable; add your favourite protein, veggies, and cheeses. A handful of wilted spinach can be an amazing addition, and a beautiful method so as to add some inexperienced into your weight loss plan.
- Good textural distinction between the buttery, flaky crust and creamy filling. I like to recommend utilizing my do-it-yourself pie crust slightly than store-bought in an effort to skip the preservatives and maximize on taste.
- Could be made prematurely, so it’s good for vacation breakfasts or brunch (alongside some cinnamon rolls or espresso cake).
Earlier than we get began with the recipe, I wished to cowl my bases and get into the nitty gritty about what a quiche Lorraine historically is and why my recipe varies from the strictest norms.
A Be aware on Conventional Quiche Lorraine
Quiche Lorraine originated within the Lorraine area of France as a easy, no-fuss recipe. It was initially made with bread dough, cream, eggs, and bacon. Moreover utilizing pie crust as a substitute of bread dough, you’ll additionally discover that I add cheese to my recipe (and some different taste boosters!). Some purists will seemingly discover a problem with this, so let me clarify earlier than anybody begins sounding off within the feedback 😉.
Simply as I said with my fettuccine alfredo recipe, I would like remind steadfast purists that I don’t intention to offer you skeletally genuine recipes; my purpose is to provide the finest, tastiest variations of those recipes. In any other case, I’d simply be regurgitating the originals, and nobody actually wants me to try this!
So what follows beneath is my model, and it makes use of cheese as a result of, nicely, cheese is scrumptious and it merely simply does enhance the dish. Traditionalists, you’ll simply have search your genuine recipes elsewhere. I’m sorry you’ll miss out! 🤪
What You Want
Whereas my recipe shouldn’t be essentially conventional, it’s the BEST quiche Lorraine I’ve ever had. Because of this, you will notice some elements listed beneath that aren’t standard (however they add a number of taste!).
- Pie crust. Shortcrust is usually used for quiche, however I personally a lot choose to make use of my favourite simple pie crust. Alternatively you possibly can use a store-bought crust.
- Bacon. Drain all however one tablespoon of the grease, which we are going to use to cook dinner our onion and garlic. This provides such a pleasant taste to our quiche Lorraine!
- Tabasco. A number of dashes of sizzling sauce add a refined depth of taste. Cayenne pepper would additionally work for those who don’t maintain Tabasco readily available.
- Nutmeg. A pinch of nutmeg is conventional in quiche Lorraine, however you’ll be able to at all times depart this out for those who aren’t a fan of nutmeg.
- Cheese. Not conventional, however completely needed in my ebook! Gruyere and parmesan are my favorites right here, however cheddar or Swiss cheese can be nice choices too. Decide a tough cheese that you simply like consuming, and ensure to grate it your self for finest outcomes.
Additionally, you will want a baking pan! I exploit a 9.5″ quiche pan (linked beneath). An ordinary 9-9.5″ pie plate will work right here, or you should utilize a 1.5″ deep tart pan. Most tart pans gained’t be large enough for all of the filling this recipe makes, so you’ll have further if yours isn’t 1.5″ deep.
SAM’S TIP: For simple transferring in/out of the oven, place your quiche pan on a foil lined baking sheet. This additionally will catch any spills so your oven stays clear!
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the submit!
How you can Make Quiche Lorraine
- Chill + first bake – Kind your pie crust in your pan, then place within the freezer to relax whereas your oven preheats to 400F. As soon as your oven is prepared, line your crust with parchment paper, add pie weights, and bake for Quarter-hour.
- Take away the parchment paper and pie weights, then dock the underside crust with a fork (you’ll be able to see I missed that step right here, whoops!) and brush with egg wash.
- Bake the crust for one more 8-10 minutes or till the underside turns a light-weight brown shade. Scale back the oven warmth to 375F and let the crust cool whilst you put together your filling.
- Cook dinner the bacon over medium warmth till crisp, then take away to a paper towel lined plate. Drain all however 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.
- Add the onion to the remaining bacon grease and cook dinner over medium warmth till softened, then add the garlic and cook dinner for 30 seconds. Take away from the warmth.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, cream, tabasco, salt, and spices in a big measuring cup.
- Add the cheese, bacon, onions, and garlic to your ready crust, then evenly pour the filling combination overtop.
- Bake at 375F for 35 minutes or till set. Your quiche Lorraine is finished when the perimeters are set however the heart remains to be a bit jiggly–this yields that good, borderline custardy texture. To check for doneness, insert a pointy knife into the middle of the quiche; if it comes out clear, it’s prepared!
SAM’S TIP: In case you battle together with your crust burning (I haven’t) you’ll be able to cowl the perimeters of the crust with foil or use a pie protect.
Often Requested Questions
Sure! Technically you wouldn’t be making quiche Lorraine for those who did, however it should nonetheless be tasty. You would swap the bacon for ham or sausage, add totally different veggies like mushrooms, solar dried tomatoes, broccoli, or spinach, and use your favourite cheeses. This recipe is flexible!
Sure. Listed below are detailed directions for getting ready prematurely:
Freezing earlier than baking: Assemble the quiche as instructed (par bake the crust) and place within the freezer till strong. Then, take away the quiche, wrap tightly in plastic after which foil. You could maintain frozen for as much as a month. To bake, take away the wrap and bake straight from the freezer, notice that the bake time might enhance by as a lot as 10-Quarter-hour.
Freezing after baking: Bake the quiche as instructed and funky fully. Wrap in plastic after which foil and freeze for as much as a month. To reheat, thaw the quiche in a single day within the fridge then pop in a 325F (165C) oven and warmth till warmed by way of (about Quarter-hour).
Refrigerating: You may bake the quiche and canopy and refrigerate for as much as 3 days earlier than serving. Reheat in a 325F (165C) oven for 15-20 minutes.
Sure! Blind baking the crust helps keep away from a soggy pie crust backside. I am going over how to do that intimately in my learn how to blind bake pie crust submit, for those who want extra data on this course of.
What recipe would you wish to see subsequent? Let me know within the feedback beneath!
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In case you do that recipe, make sure you tag me on Instagram, and it’s also possible to discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 10 servings
Forestall your display from going darkish
Blind-bake the crust
Kind pie dough into quiche pan. Flute the perimeters. Place pan in freezer and preheat oven to 400F (200C). Enable crust to relax whereas oven preheats.
1 pie crust
As soon as oven is preheated, take away quiche pan from freezer, line with parchment paper, and fill with pie weights. Switch to heart rack of oven and bake for Quarter-hour.
Whereas crust cooks, put together egg wash by whisking collectively 1 egg with a teaspoon of water.
1 egg, 1 teaspoon water
Take away from oven, fastidiously take away pie weights, and brush the edges and backside of the crust together with your egg wash. Prick the underside of the quiche crust throughout with a fork.
Return quiche pan to the oven and proceed to bake one other 8-10 minutes longer or till backside is starting to flippantly brown. Take away from oven and cut back warmth to 375F (190C). Enable crust to chill whilst you put together filling.
Place bacon in a medium-sized skillet over medium warmth and cook dinner till crisp and deep golden brown. Take away to a paper towel lined plate.
4 items bacon
Drain all however 1 Tbsp of the grease from the pan. Add onion and cook dinner till softened (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook dinner till aromatic (about 30 seconds). Take away from warmth.
½ cup finely chopped yellow onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic
In a big measuring cup, whisk collectively eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Tabasco sauce.
4 massive eggs, 1 ½ cup (354 ml) heavy cream, ½ teaspoon desk salt, ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg, 3-5 drops Tabasco sauce
Crumble bacon evenly over the quiche crust and scatter cheese, onions, and garlic evenly overtop. Pour egg combination evenly over the crust. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet (in case of spills) and switch to heart rack of 375F (190C) oven. Bake for 35 minutes or till edges are set however the heart nonetheless barely jiggles. A pointy knife inserted within the heart of the quiche ought to come out clear.
4 oz (113 g) shredded cheese – I do principally gruyere with a little bit of parmesan
Enable to chill about Quarter-hour earlier than slicing and serving.
A quiche pan is deeper than a tart pan. Right here is a quiche pan that I exploit. Not the entire filling will match for those who choose to make use of a tart pan. In case you don’t have a quiche pan, you possibly can as a substitute use a 9 or 9 ½” pie plate, as a substitute.
You could substitute ½ cup of the heavy cream with complete milk, if desired. This can make the tart a bit much less creamy.
Gruyere is a basic selection, I like to make use of principally gruyere with a little bit of parmesan. Sharp cheddar would additionally work. For finest outcomes, purchase a block of cheese and shred it your self.
Might omit or substitute a touch of cayenne pepper as a substitute.
Enable quiche to chill after baking then cowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as much as 3 days.
Wrap quiche in plastic wrap and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge. After thawing, reheat in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes, till heated by way of.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 26g | Saturated Fats: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 8g | Trans Fats: 0.02g | Ldl cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 115mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 738IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
Extra nice breakfast choices: