Norwegian apple cake is a traditional apple cake made with easy elements! Loaded with tart and candy apples, and cinnamon sugar, the buttery cake is ideal with a cup of espresso within the morning or a scoop of ice cream for dessert!
Love apples? Be sure to check out my MOST favourite Apple Pie Recipe!
This recipe was developed in partnership with my associates at Imperial Sugar.
Norwegian Apple Cake (Eplekake)
This Norwegian Apple cake is an genuine, easy cake that’s excellent. Classics are classics for a purpose! Whereas I’ve by no means been to Norway, I’ve had variations of this cake all through my life. It is a butter cake is full of cinnamon sugar apples, which is ideal paired with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or plain! You possibly can get pleasure from this apple cake for breakfast with a cup of espresso, as a day snack, and even for dessert!! However I’ll say that whereas I’m keen on having fun with this cake heat, it’s a kind of desserts that (in my view) is best the following day!
For the total ingredient listing and directions CLICK HERE.
- Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced 1/2- inch thick
- Granulated sugar
- Floor cinnamon
- Salted butter (I like salted particularly on this recipe, as you don’t add any further salt and it provides taste.)
- Granulated sugar
- Massive Eggs
- Baking powder
- All objective flour
What Are the Greatest Varieties Of Apples For Baking?
There are such a lot of apples to select from while you get to the grocery store! All of them look so lovely, however know that every one apples should not nice for baking! I nearly solely use Granny Smith apples once I bake this apple cake. These tart apples maintain their construction whereas they bake, not turning to complete mush, and are candy so their taste actually pops!
Apples To Keep away from In Baking:
Sure apples are simply too gentle, or don’t have sufficient taste to pack a punch in baking. Here’s a listing of apples that ought to be loved contemporary or became applesauce!
- Pink Scrumptious
Apples That Are Nice To Bake With:
These apples are agency, candy, and somewhat tart. They maintain their construction in baking and their taste actually comes by with out getting too mushy!
- Granny Smith
- Pink Woman
What Instruments Do You Want?
This recipe is in the end quite simple, however a couple of kitchen instruments will make the method additional straightforward!
The way to Make Norwegian Apple Cake?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Put aside.
- Place the sliced apples into a big bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Stir to coat evenly. Put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar collectively on medium velocity till creamy, 2 minutes. Add within the eggs one by one and blend till mixed, scraping the edges and backside of the bowl as needed. Add within the baking powder and blend to include.
- Flip the mixer to low velocity and in alternating additions, add the flour and milk, starting and ending with the flour, till simply mixed. Don’t over combine.
- Assemble: Cowl the underside of the ready pan with apples. They will overlap, however you desire a single layer. High the apples with the cake batter and unfold evenly to cowl all of the apples. Press the remaining apple slices into the batter vertically making concentric circles within the batter.
- Bake for 55 – 65 minutes, or till the cake is golden brown and set and within the heart and a toothpick comes out clear.
- Enable the cake to chill for quarter-hour within the pan. Run a butter knife across the edges after which launch the aspect of the pan.
- Slice and serve heat with whipped cream, dusted with powdered sugar, and even ice cream.
You possibly can amp up this recipe in some ways, which is what’s so nice about it. It’s excellent in its simplicity, however you possibly can actually get artistic! Listed below are a couple of concepts to start out:
- Add sliced almonds, walnuts, or pecans to the highest of the cake!
- Add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla to the batter to boost the flavour.
- Mud the entire cake with powdered sugar for an additional fairly look.
- Drizzle a candy sugar glaze icing the the highest earlier than serving.
- Add berries to the cake. This might be improbable with a cup of raspberries thrown into the batter as properly!
- Use peaches as an alternative of apples!
- Add 1 teaspoon of cardamom to the batter to actually give it that Norwegian taste.
How To Retailer:
This cake is nice for as much as 3 days if saved hermetic at room temperature. You can too freeze this cake! It freezes superbly if saved hermetic for as much as 30 days. Enable it to thaw out at room temperature and luxuriate in room temperature or heat it up within the microwave for a couple of seconds!