This vanilla layer cake is the one cake that everybody must know the way to make. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s splendidly easy and completely heavenly.
The Finest Vanilla Layer Cake Recipe
I’ve been experimenting with vanilla truffles for years now making an attempt to get the flavour and texture excellent. It’s a little bit of a operating joke. However in an try to fulfill everybody and all of the totally different preferences on the market, I’ve arrived at a number of variations of vanilla cake and cupcakes over time to be able to please everybody.
This recipe is my most up-to-date and “closing” recipe. I’ve taken the entire suggestions over time integrated into this cake. It has the entire issues you would need in a vanilla cake. The cake itself is mild and fluffy however with sufficient substance to chew into. It’s completely moist and topped with a wealthy buttercream frosting that’s simply to die for. The seek for the right vanilla cake is over. I can’t wait so that you can see (or style, reasonably) what I imply.
Why You’ll Love This Simple Vanilla Cake
A easy, simple, moist vanilla layer cake? Everybody wants one of their recipe assortment. Listed here are a number of the reason why this one, particularly, is 100% obligatory for each baker to attempt.
- Texture. Creaming collectively the butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract till they’re fluffy provides this cake a splendidly ethereal texture. In contrast to truffles that solely make the most of egg whites, nonetheless, this one makes use of entire eggs. The inclusion of the yolks provides the cake the right quantity of substance and richness. So it’s not too ethereal and never too heavy. It’s excellent. Plus, the addition of oil makes the vanilla cake completely moist.
- Flavorful. I like the refined vanilla taste of this cake. It makes it universally loveable. The usage of butter along with oil provides the cake additional richness and taste as nicely. It’s severely so good.
- Easy recipe. Whereas you’ll nonetheless should comply with a number of steps to make the batter, this recipe requires an easier mixing technique than many different truffles with out compromising texture or taste.
- Versatile. Everybody wants a easy vanilla cake of their life. It’s the excellent canvas for a wide range of totally different fillings and frostings. I used a vanilla buttercream right here however be happy to experiment! Try the part under titled “Adorning Ideas & Concepts” for inspiration.
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a listing of components you have to to make this simple vanilla cake. Be certain to scroll to the recipe card under for detailed measurements.
- All-purpose flour – You need to ensure to not over measure your flour, or you would find yourself with dry, dense cake. Be happy to make use of your favourite 1:1 gluten-free flour as a substitute.
- Baking powder – In relation to vanilla cake, I desire baking powder over baking soda. It provides the cake a pleasant bakery-style texture and retains the colour lighter.
- Salt – All the time wanted for taste.
- Unsalted butter – The butter have to be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Vegetable oil – The vegetable oil provides a pleasant moistness to this cake.
- Sugar – Sugar provides each sweetness and moisture and impacts the ultimate texture of the cake.
- Vanilla extract – An excellent high quality extract is really helpful for nice vanilla taste.
- Eggs – They need to be giant eggs (not medium or additional giant) and it’s best that they’re at room temperature in order that they incorporate extra simply with the opposite components.
- Milk – I take advantage of 2% milk however be happy to make use of entire milk. The fats within the milk provides moisture and texture to the cake.
- Unsalted butter – The butter ought to be at room temperature so that you just don’t get a lumpy frosting.
- Powdered sugar – This provides quantity to the frosting and impacts the consistency. Much less powdered sugar will provide you with a thinner frosting that doesn’t maintain up as nicely to issues like piping, and extra powdered sugar will provide you with a stiffer frosting that stays precisely the place you place it.
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream – This provides an exquisite creaminess to the frosting and can be utilized to skinny it out if it will get too thick.
- Salt – For taste. It additionally may help lower down on the sweetness.
- Sprinkles – I used a mixture that’s much like these sprinkles. Be happy to make use of your favourite.
Methods to Make Vanilla Layer Cake
Right here’s a fast overview of the way to make this simple vanilla layer cake. You should definitely scroll to the recipe card under for extra detailed directions.
For the cake
- Prep. Line the underside of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper circles and grease the perimeters. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract till mild in shade and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing to mix after every addition.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the dry components to the batter and blend to mix. Slowly add the milk and blend to mix. Add the remaining dry components and blend till easy.
- Bake. Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Cool. Take away the truffles from the oven and permit them to chill for 2-3 minutes earlier than transferring them to wire racks to chill utterly.
For the frosting
- Beat the butter till easy.
- Add. Combine. Add half of the powdered sugar. Combine till easy. Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt. Combine till easy. Add the remaining powdered sugar. Combine till easy.
- Refine the consistency. If the frosting is just too thick, add further heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend till easy. Try my tutorial on the way to get the proper consistency of frosting.
To assemble the cake
- Take away the domes from the highest of the truffles with a big serrated knife.
- Stack. Place the primary cake on a serving plate and unfold 1 cup of frosting excessive. Repeat with the second layer and the third.
- Frost the surface of the cake. Confer with my tutorial for frosting a easy cake, if wanted.
- Enhance. Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake and pipe swirls of frosting across the high edge. Add a number of extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake.
Ideas for Success
Are you feeling intimidated by the thought of constructing a layer cake? Don’t be. You are able to do this! Simply comply with these easy ideas and methods to get the perfect outcomes attainable.
- Measure flour accurately. One of many largest errors folks make is over or underneath measuring flour. Most frequently the flour is over measured and it provides you a dry cake. I extremely suggest utilizing a food scale and weighing your flour to keep away from this. Should you desire to not use a meals scale, I like to recommend the spoon and degree technique.
- Room temperature components. The butter within the batter ought to be at room temperature. In any other case, it is not going to cream correctly with the sugar, oil, and vanilla and you will discover your self with a very dense cake. The eggs also needs to be at room temperature. They are going to incorporate extra simply with the opposite components which can assist to stop over-mixing. The butter within the buttercream ought to be at room temperature as nicely. Whether it is too chilly, you’ll find yourself with a lumpy frosting.
- Don’t skimp on creaming time. When beating collectively the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla, accomplish that till the combination is mild in shade and good and fluffy. This could take 2-3 minutes. It will assist make the cake itself mild and fluffy.
- Don’t over combine. Over mixing the cake batter after you add the flour will trigger the glutens within the flour to overdevelop. This will provide you with a troublesome, dense cake.
- Scrape the bowl. As you’re including components to the batter and mixing to include them, you should definitely scrape the perimeters of the bowl periodically. It will deliver any components caught to the bowl again into the batter.
- Cool earlier than frosting. It’s important that you just enable the truffles to chill utterly earlier than stacking, filling, and frosting. If they’re too heat, the frosting will soften proper off the cake.
Adorning Ideas & Concepts
I coated this moist, fluffy vanilla cake with white buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles however one of many nice issues about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. Listed here are a number of enjoyable methods to make it your individual.
- Shade your frosting. Add a few drops of gel food coloring to the buttercream so as to add shade to this dessert. You possibly can shade the entire cake or simply pipe some coloured swirls on high.
- Add a drip. Elevate your cake and use my tutorial for including a chocolate (or white chocolate) drip.
- Enhance with buttercream rosettes. Much like this ice cream cake tutorial, you should use buttercream to high your cake with lovely and straightforward rosettes.
- Sprinkles. I like including sprinkles to my truffles. Maintain it a bit extra reserved, just like the cake within the photographs, or press sprinkles all the best way up the perimeters. There are lots of fun options.
- Use different meals. I like utilizing different meals for adorning! Organize contemporary fruit on high, add some toasted coconut or cookie crumbs, or high together with your favourite sweet. All would look nice!
Can I Use This Recipe To Make Cupcakes?
Sure! You possibly can truly discover that recipe in my Simple Home made Vanilla Cupcakes. The recipe is lower in half and makes about 12-14 cupcakes. You’ll make the cake batter and buttercream as regular (simply much less of it), add the batter to cupcake liners after which bake for 15-18 minutes.
Methods to Retailer a Frosted Layer Cake
After cooling and frosting, switch the cake to an hermetic cake service or wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap. Should you go the plastic wrap route, I recommend utilizing toothpicks to prop the plastic wrap away from the buttercream swirls.
Alternatively, you’ll be able to slice the cake and prepare the slices in a single layer in an hermetic container. In any case, retailer the cake at room temperature for as much as 24 hours or within the fridge for as much as 4 days. This cake is finest loved at room temperature, so should you select to refrigerate it, let it sit on the counter for an hour or so earlier than diving it.
Can I Freeze Layer Cake?
You possibly can! I sometimes suggest freezing the layers previous to frosting. Wrap them nicely in clear wrap and aluminum foil previous to freezing. Thaw the cake layers in fridge previous to frosting. Should you’d like, you would attempt freezing the total cake. In that case, pop the absolutely frosted cake within the freezer for a few hours to agency up earlier than wrapping it in a double layer of plastic wrap. You can too slice the cake and wrap the person slices in clear wrap and foil. Retailer the cake within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Thaw the cake within the fridge in a single day earlier than permitting it to return to room temperature earlier than serving.
Extra Vanilla Cake Recipes:
Vanilla truffles are the king of all truffles and as I discussed earlier than, I’ve received many to attempt. This moist vanilla layer cake is my absolute favourite however listed here are another fabulous recipes so that you can attempt.
Everybody must know the way to make this moist vanilla layer cake. Three layers of moist, fluffy vanilla cake are crammed and frosted with wealthy vanilla buttercream. It’s completely heavenly.
- 2 1/2 cups (325g) all objective flour (measured correctly)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (168g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 giant eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) milk, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (560g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10 cups (1150g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6–8 tbsp (90ml-120ml) heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkles, for adorning
For the Cake:
- Put together three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles within the backside and grease the perimeters. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and put aside.
- Add the butter, sugar, oil and vanilla extract to a big mixer bowl and beat collectively till mild in shade and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Don’t skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing till principally mixed after every. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are nicely integrated.
- Add half of the dry components to the batter and blend till principally mixed.
- Slowly add the milk and blend till nicely mixed. The batter will look curdled, however that’s okay.
- Add the remaining dry components and blend till nicely mixed and easy. Scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted to make sure all components are nicely integrated. Don’t over combine the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the truffles pans and bake for 22-25 minutes, or till a toothpick comes out with a number of crumbs.
- Take away the truffles from the oven and permit to chill for about 2-3 minutes, then take away to cooling racks to chill utterly.
For the Frosting:
- To make the frosting, beat the butter till easy.
- Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and blend till easy.
- Add the vanilla extract, 4-5 tablespoons of heavy cream, and salt and blend till easy.
- Slowly add the remaining powdered sugar and blend till easy. Add further heavy cream, as wanted to get the suitable consistency of frosting.
To Assemble the Cake:
- To place the cake collectively, use a big serrated knife to take away the domes from the highest of the truffles in order that they’re flat. These truffles don’t have a big dome, however I like to verify they’re utterly flat.
- Place the primary cake on a serving plate or a cardboard cake spherical.
- Unfold about 1 cup of frosting evenly on high of the cake.
- Add the second layer of cake and one other cup of frosting.
- Prime the cake with the remaining layer and frost the surface of the cake. Confer with my tutorial for frosting a easy cake, if wanted.
- Press sprinkles into the perimeters of the cake.
- Pipe swirls of frosting across the high fringe of the cake. I used Ateco tip 844.
- Add a number of extra sprinkles to the highest of the cake. Retailer in an air-tight container. The cake is finest for 3-4 days.
- Serving Measurement: 1 Slice
- Energy: 977
- Sugar: 107.2 g
- Sodium: 223.3 mg
- Fats: 51.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 127.9 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 175.4 mg
Key phrases: vanilla layer cake, moist vanilla cake recipe, simple vanilla layer cake