This traditional lemon meringue pie recipe yields a superbly set filling and billowy meringue that gained’t weep–each single time! It’s made 100% from scratch with simply 10 elements. Recipe features a how-to video!
Good Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Should you’ve ever struggled with making lemon meringue pie–whether or not it’s a filling that’s too runny or a meringue that’s too watery–at this time’s recipe is for you!
Truthfully, I averted this recipe for for too lengthy. Like my pink velvet cake (took me years to strategy that one!), I uncared for to develop a lemon meringue pie recipe just because it was a dish that I simply didn’t love. In my expertise, this pie was by no means nice to eat; I disliked the free, watery lemon filling and the weepy layer that all the time puddled between the meringue and the filling. The feel simply threw all the pieces off for me!
However, as with that pink velvet cake, my sister insisted I wanted to share a model. So I started working, and within the trenches (no, critically, it felt like we had been within the trenches), I found options for the frequent issues that pop up making lemon meringue pie.
I now perceive why the meringue is so usually weepy–I can recall a very unhappy slice with a deflated, moist meringue that puddled everywhere in the plate. Even Luke, sometimes aggressive along with his dessert fork, wouldn’t dare contact this pie. “Mother, that is disgusting” he mentioned. And he was proper.
It took a whole lot of pies gone flawed, tried-and-true pie recipes, and even my grandmother’s pie recipe carved on her pie plate (I used to be SO SAD that one didn’t work out–I even tried it a number of instances simply to make certain!) as a way to arrive the place we’re at this time. However wow, was it price it!
What to anticipate from my perfected recipe:
- Flawless, tart, brilliant and straightforward filling with true, actual lemon taste (no field mixes). It’s agency sufficient to slice, however nonetheless mushy sufficient to take care of that traditional texture and soften in your mouth. Oh, and there’s no have to mood any eggs to make it!
- Loads of meringue that billows fantastically over the pie layer. I designed my recipe to have a beneficiant quantity of meringue for making these attractive peaks and whorls over the pie, as a result of what’s a lemon meringue pie with out them?
- Completely no weepy meringue. This was so vital to me with this recipe. Now you’ll have to roll up your sleeves and soiled an additional dish, however the payoff is price it. It’s not ridiculous or difficult work, nevertheless it does require love. Good pies take some effort!
- Crisp, buttery crust. We are able to’t neglect the crust! Blind baking the pie crust beforehand means there might be no soggy bottoms right here, thank goodness.
Let’s get baking!
What You Want
My lemon meringue recipe sticks with traditional, primary elements. Listed below are an important ones we’ll be utilizing.
- Lemons. Contemporary lemons are a should right here–bottled lemon juice merely gained’t reduce it. Ensure you zest your lemons earlier than juicing them.
- Eggs. We’ll be utilizing 5 complete eggs on this lemon meringue pie recipe. The yolks will go within the lemon filling (it’s just like lemon curd!) and the whites will go within the meringue topping (so no waste or leftovers!). Be sure that once you separate them that you just don’t let any yolk get into your whites, or you’ll have to begin over. Additionally, utilizing eggs which are at room temperature, as they have an inclination to whip quicker and better than chilly egg whites.
- Cornstarch. This works to assist stabilize and thicken the bottom of the pie, maintaining it from being too free or runny.
- Cream of tartar. Should you’ve made meringue cookies or macarons, you know the way useful cream of tartar could be for stabilizing egg whites. We’ll use it right here for the very same cause.
- Vanilla. Many recipes skip the vanilla within the meringue, however I believe it provides an additional particular, nearly marshmallow-like contact.
- Pie dough. As all the time, I like to recommend making your individual pie crust as an alternative of utilizing a store-bought crust. Even higher, use my pie crust recipe! It’s not as straightforward as store-bought, nevertheless it’s so good and stuffed with taste. And it’s virtually foolproof, because it comes collectively within the meals processor.
SAM’S TIP: Even the tiniest drop of egg yolk can forestall your egg whites from whipping to stiff peaks, so be very cautious when separating your eggs! Additionally, ensure the bowl and utensils you intend to make use of to your meringue are utterly clear, dry, and grease-free.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the tip of the publish!
Make Lemon Meringue Pie
Blind-Bake the Crust
- Roll out your chilled pie dough, then switch it to a 9″ pie plate. Crimp or flute the sides, then place within the freezer for quarter-hour.
- Place your pie plate on a baking sheet and line with parchment. Fill with pie weights, then place in your preheated oven for quarter-hour.
- Egg wash: take away the crust from the oven, fastidiously elevate out the parchment and pie weights, and put aside. Poke the underside crust with a fork, then brush throughout with egg wash (this helps hold the pie crust from changing into soggy).
- Bake for a further 10-12 minutes or till the crust is starting to show golden brown, then let cool utterly.
Make the Lemon Filling
Since I made the meringue a tad extra difficult, I wished to seek out different methods to simplify the pie, and I used to be ready to do that within the filling. My model comes along with no have to mood eggs (this methodology is just like what I take advantage of for my pastry cream, and it really works like a dream!)
- Whisk collectively the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan, then drizzle within the lemon juice whereas whisking. Maintain whisking till the combination is easy and mixed.
- Whisk within the egg yolks and lemon zest, then drizzle within the water.
- Prepare dinner just under medium warmth whereas whisking consistently. As soon as the combination thickens, take away it from the warmth.
- Pour the curd by a high-quality mesh strainer and right into a heatproof bowl. A high-quality mesh strainer is vital right here, if any bits of egg cooked or any lumps shaped whereas cooking, the strainer will catch them so your filling might be utterly easy.
- Add the butter and whisk till easy and totally integrated.
- Pour the filling into your cooled crust and put aside. I prefer to tent mine with foil so the filling stays heat–this helps the filling and meringue stick collectively and avoids that slippery, weepy layer that nobody desires to seek out of their pie.
Make the Meringue
To stop the meringue from weeping and to assist it maintain its form, we’re technically utilizing a Swiss meringue (whereas most lemon meringue pies use French meringue such as you’d discover in my macarons or meringues).
Should you’ve made my marshmallow frosting or Swiss meringue buttercream, you’ve executed this earlier than; it’s not difficult and is a good way to stabilize the meringue so that you don’t have to fret about undercooking it within the oven (a giant weeping perpetrator). Swiss meringue additionally stands up higher to humidity and different points that set off weeping!
- Whisk collectively the cream of tartar, sugar, and salt in a clear, dry, grease-free bowl. Add the egg whites and whisk till integrated, then place over a double boiler that’s simmering on medium-low warmth (the underside of your bowl mustn’t contact the water!).
- Whisk consistently till the sugar dissolves; check this by fastidiously rubbing a small drop of the combination between your fingers (it’ll be scorching, watch out and let it cool first!) — you shouldn’t really feel any grit from the sugar granules!
- Take away the bowl from the warmth, dry it off, then place in a stand mixer. Beat on medium excessive velocity till the meringue reaches thick, stiff, and shiny peaks. Add the vanilla extract and stir till mixed.
- Gently scoop the meringue over the pie filling and use the again of a spoon or spatula to create peaks. Bake for a further 10-12 minutes or till the peaks are starting to show a pleasant brown shade. Let the pie cool to room temperature for an hour, then place within the fridge to sit back for about 4 hours earlier than slicing and serving.
SAM’S TIP: Be sure that the underside of your bowl doesn’t contact the water when place in your double boiler; it ought to keep suspended! I usually use my stand mixer bowl and a medium saucepan, then I can simply dry off the underside of the bowl and place it on my stand mixer with the whisk attachment to simply make my meringue.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sure! Although we’re cooking the meringue portion of this pie, the custard base nonetheless requires refrigeration. Will probably be high-quality to sit down at room temperature for a couple of hours, however after that I like to recommend masking it properly and inserting within the fridge.
This pie will last as long as 4 days; nevertheless, it tastes finest when loved throughout the first day or two. Due to this, lemon meringue pie just isn’t one of the best pie to make when it is advisable to bake your dessert far prematurely (attempt my pumpkin cheesecake pie or chocolate pie as an alternative).
I don’t suggest it. The meringue is not going to thaw properly and you’ll doubtless have a weepy topping, which is the precise reverse of what we’re going for right here. Should you’re on the lookout for a lemon pie that you may freeze, attempt my lemon pie or lemon tart.
There are such a lot of causes: humidity, beneath or overcooking the meringue, utilizing previous eggs, and refrigeration (a crucial evil) simply to call a couple of. Fortunately, cooking the meringue first earlier than including it to the pie does wonders for stopping weeping, which is why I put together my pie this fashion. It’s not 100% foolproof, however as long as you comply with the steps (watch the video if you’re a newbie) I’m assured you should have success, and no weeping!
I do know lots of you have got been wanting ahead to this recipe, and I can’t wait to listen to the way you prefer it!
Get pleasure from!
Lemon Meringue Pie
Servings: 8 servings
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Put together and chill pie dough in line with recipe directions.
1 pie dough
Roll out chilled pie dough on a calmly floured floor right into a 12” circle. Switch to a 9” pie plate and crimp or flute the sides of the crust. Place within the freezer to sit back for quarter-hour, and in the meantime preheat your oven to 375F (190C).
Take away pie plate from freezer and place on a baking sheet (to simply take away from the oven with out damaging the crust). Line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights.
Bake on the middle rack of 375F (190C) oven for quarter-hour. In the meantime, put together egg wash by whisking collectively egg and water.
1 egg, 1 teaspoon water
Take away pie plate from oven and thoroughly take away the parchment paper and pie weights. Pierce the underside of the pie plate repeatedly with a fork and use a pastry brush to calmly brush the pie crust throughout with ready egg wash. Return to oven (with out pie weights or paper) for 10-12 minutes, till crust is starting to show gentle golden brown.
Permit crust to chill utterly earlier than filling.
For the lemon filling
In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk collectively the sugar, cornstarch, and salt, then drizzle in lemon juice whereas whisking. Whisk till easy.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ⅓ cup cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup contemporary squeezed lemon juice
Add egg yolks and lemon zest and whisk till well-combined.
5 egg yolks, 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
Steadily drizzle in water, stirring till integrated.
1 ¼ cup water
Flip stovetop warmth just under medium and whisk consistently till combination begins to thicken (the whisk will depart trails within the combination, and for those who dip a spoon within the lemon combination will coat the again of the spoon).
Take away from warmth and pour by a high-quality mesh strainer right into a heatproof bowl.
Instantly add butter, whisking in till utterly integrated.
3 Tablespoons salted butter
Pour filling into cooled pie crust and put aside when you make your meringue, it’s finest if the meringue is added whereas the filling remains to be heat, so I’ll normally calmly tent the pie with foil to assist hold the heat from escaping. Notice that your oven ought to nonetheless be preheated to 375F/190C, as you have to it to toast the meringue within the subsequent step.
For the meringue
Put together a double boiler. I like to make use of my chrome steel KitchenAid mixing bowl and a medium-sized saucepan that’s giant sufficient to droop the bowl with out it touching the underside of the pan. Ensure that the bowl is totally clear, dry, and grease-free.
Within the bowl of the double boiler, whisk collectively sugar, cream of tartar, and salt.
⅔ cup (113 g) granulated sugar, ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Add egg whites and whisk till utterly mixed.
5 giant egg whites
Fill the underside of the double boiler with about 1 ½ inches of water and produce to a simmer over medium-low warmth. Relaxation the bowl of your mixer over the simmering water (it shouldn’t be touching the water).
Whisk combination consistently till the sugar is dissolved. You possibly can check this by fastidiously (it’s scorching!) rubbing a small bit between your fingers, it ought to be easy and never gritty. Proceed whisking till combination reaches 160F (70C).
Take away mixing bowl from warmth and dry the underside of your bowl. Match bowl into your stand mixer (if utilizing a stand mixer, in any other case use an electrical hand mixer for the following step).
Use the whisk attachment on medium-high velocity to beat the egg white combination to stiff peaks. Meringue ought to be thick, billowy, and shiny. This sometimes takes round 10 minutes.
Stir in vanilla extract till mixed.
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Instantly, gently scoop meringue over pie filling. Use your spatula or the again of a spoon to create peaks from the meringue. Place on a baking sheet and switch to the middle rack of 375F (190C) oven for 10-12 minutes, till peaks of meringue are browning.
Permit pie to chill at room temperature for a minimum of an hour earlier than transferring to the fridge to chill utterly (about 4 hours) earlier than slicing and serving. This pie is finest served the day it’s made or subsequent day.
Contemporary lemons are finest, bottled lemon juice will yield a subpar filling and I don’t suggest it. Strongly.
Lemon meringue pie merely doesn’t hold very properly and may ideally be loved inside 48 hours however will hold for as much as 4 days. I don’t suggest freezing this pie.
Make forward ideas
The pie dough could be ready and even baked as much as a number of days prematurely.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 6g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 350mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.