This mouthwatering Jambalaya recipe is ideal for spicing up your dinner routine. This Cajun-inspired dish is full of taste and can impress even the pickiest eaters. Our recipe consists of a mixture of savory meats, spicy greens, and aromatic spices cooked to perfection in a hearty tomato sauce. You possibly can even add shrimp to it for those who’d like!
Although the ingredient listing is lengthy, it’s extremely straightforward to make, so you may take pleasure in a restaurant-quality meal within the consolation of your individual house. So why accept bland dinners when you may impress your loved ones and mates with some tasty Creole Jambalaya? Get able to take your style buds on a journey to the colourful streets of New Orleans with only one chew!
Remember to serve it with a slice or two of my Corn Spoon Bread that you just see within the photos.
Historical past of Jambalaya
Jambalaya originated within the state of Louisiana, particularly within the metropolis of New Orleans. It’s a mix of Spanish, French, and African delicacies, making it a real illustration of the melting pot that’s Louisiana. Jambalaya is a one-pot dish historically made with rice, meat, and greens, created to make use of leftover substances, making it a sensible and economical meal for households.
As we speak, jambalaya is a staple in Louisiana delicacies and is loved worldwide. It’s a dish that has advanced over time, with every cook dinner including their very own distinctive twist to the recipe.
I can’t say sufficient good issues about this recipe. It’s so good, and this one-pot meal makes lots to share with mates or serve for lunch the following day. Boy, simply speaking about it makes me need to get proper again within the kitchen and get the recipe going once more!
Elements for Jambalaya
To make jambalaya, you will want quite a lot of substances. The principle substances are rice, meat, and greens. Right here’s what it’s essential make this hearty dish:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless rooster breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound Andouille pork sausage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounce can of stewed tomatoes
- 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups rooster broth (or rooster inventory)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons contemporary flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Cajun spice
- 4 cups raw medium-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter, minimize into items
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined (elective)
- 1 teaspoon Previous Bay seasoning
Now that you’ve all of your substances, it’s time to start out cooking! Right here’s the way to make our straightforward jambalaya recipe:
- First, season your rooster with salt and pepper. In a big Dutch oven like this one, or massive pot, drizzle oil and cook dinner the rooster and sausage over medium-high warmth till browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Take away the meat from the pot and set it apart.
- I cooked my rooster first, then eliminated it from the pot and cooked the sausage by itself. You are able to do the identical or cook dinner them collectively.
- Place flour within the backside of the pot, stirring consistently over medium warmth till browned. Add onion and pepper and sauté till mushy. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook dinner for not less than 5 minutes.
- Subsequent, add the rooster broth, spices, and any remaining salt and pepper to the pot and convey it to a boil. Add the raw rice, rooster, and sausage and return it to a boil.
- Dot the highest with butter, cowl the pot, and place within the oven. Bake for half-hour or till many of the liquid is absorbed. Your cook dinner time might fluctuate based mostly in your substances.
- Take away that aromatic jambalaya from the oven and sprinkle with Previous Bay seasoning. When you’re going so as to add shrimp, do it now, then return the pot to the oven for a further 5 minutes or till the shrimp are cooked by means of.
Suggestions for Making Good Jambalaya
Making jambalaya could be intimidating, however with a couple of suggestions, you can also make a scrumptious meal each time. Listed below are some solutions for making the right jambalaya:
- Use a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven to stop burning.
- Don’t stir the jambalaya an excessive amount of whereas it’s cooking. This could trigger the rice to turn out to be mushy.
- Use medium or long-grain white rice for one of the best texture.
- Use a good-quality Cajun seasoning for one of the best taste.
Customise Your Jambalaya
One of many nice issues about jambalaya is that it’s such a flexible dish that may be personalized to your liking. Listed below are some methods to make it your individual:
- Use a unique sort of sausage, or one other meat, resembling shrimp, crawfish, or pork. Contemplate skinless rooster thighs as a substitute of breasts.
- Add different greens, resembling okra or tomatoes.
- When you don’t like spicy meals, modify the spice degree to your liking. Spice lovers can improve or add spices resembling crushed pink pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, sizzling sauce, or creole seasoning.
- Use a unique sort of rice, resembling brown rice or basmati rice.
Serving and Storing This Spicy Creole Dish
Jambalaya is greatest served sizzling, straight from the pot. You possibly can garnish it with chopped parsley or inexperienced onions for added taste. It’s scrumptious for Mardi Gras or any time of the yr!
Leftover jambalaya could be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. To reheat, merely microwave or warmth on the range till heated by means of. We LOVE consuming the leftovers!!
Are you able to freeze Jambalaya?
Jambalaya could be frozen for as much as three months. Maintain frozen jambalaya within the freezer till you’re able to defrost and reheat it.
When reheating frozen jambalaya, thaw within the fridge in a single day after which reheat in a pot on the range or the microwave till sizzling all through. Alternatively, strive reheating Jambalaya in a gradual cooker or put the frozen jambalaya straight right into a skillet.
I hope you’ll strive making this scrumptious dinner dish. My entire household liked it, and it’s turn out to be a staple in my menu rotation. Let me know the way you prefer it!
Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Busy weeks name for extra planning with regards to dinner concepts. It’s a superb factor I’ve these gradual cooker recipes to assist subsequent time you’re in a bind!
~ FOLLOW ME ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
~ YOUTUBE ~
Maintain an eye fixed out for extra of my straightforward recipes every week!
This Jambalaya recipe is ideal for spicing up your dinner routine. A Cajun-inspired dish full of taste will impress choosy eaters with meats, veggies, rice, and spices cooked to perfection. You possibly can even add some shrimp!
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350° F. Warmth a big Dutch oven over medium-high warmth and place the canola oil into it.
Season rooster on either side with among the salt and pepper after which brown the rooster on either side within the Dutch oven.
Take away the rooster and put aside in order that it’s cool sufficient to deal with and chop into bite-sized items.
Place chopped sausage into the pot and brown. Take away and put aside with the rooster.
Place flour within the backside of the pot, stirring consistently till browned. Add onion and pepper and sauté till mushy. Add garlic and tomatoes and cook dinner not less than 5 minutes.
Add broth, thyme, basil, parsley, Cajun spice, and remaining salt and pepper, and convey to a boil.
Add rice, rooster, and sausage and return to a boil.
Dot the highest with butter, cowl the pot and place in oven. Bake for half-hour or till many of the liquid is absorbed.
Take away from oven, stir, add shrimp now (if desired) and sprinkle with Previous Bay seasoning.
Return pot to oven for roughly 5 minutes till shrimp are cooked by means of.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 799kcal | Carbohydrates: 107g | Protein: 33g | Fats: 26g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 0.3g | Ldl cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 1515mg | Potassium: 887mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 8mg
This put up was initially printed March 3, 2012. It has been up to date in format and with photos on August 30,2023.