My home made Oreo cookie recipe makes crisp, black cocoa-infused cookies sandwiched round a creamy vanilla filling. These cookies are SO nostalgic and as near the unique as you will get! Recipe features a how-to video!
Oreo Cookies From Scratch
This Oreo cookie recipe is my home made tackle the traditional, tremendous nostalgic deal with. I needed skinny, crisp, black cookie shells with a creamy white filling; one thing that fully evoked the reminiscence of Oreo cookies. My recipe is spot on (if I do say so myself🤓)–these cookies style like my childhood!
I really feel prefer it’s vital to say that my recipe makes home made Oreos which are CRISP! So many recipes mimic the flavour, however don’t fairly obtain the feel of the actual factor. To me, Oreo cookies shouldn’t have delicate “shells” like whoopie pies; they have to be completely crisp. Mine are simply that, they usually break simply beneath your enamel, similar to the actual factor! The filling can be fastidiously crafted to be completely candy, creamy and simply the proper consistency. I like it.
What You’ll Love About these Home made Oreos
- Tastes like the actual factor — however higher! You’ll acknowledge the style and texture of the store-bought traditional, however these are subsequent stage in taste due to our components.
- Has the proper texture I really feel like Oreos should be textured, even the home made sort. I needed to get inventive with my technique as a result of I don’t have a textured rolling pin (I’ve had my eye on this embossed one however haven’t pulled the set off on it but), however you possibly can positively use one (or depart yours clean!)
- CRISP and snappy. They break completely beneath your enamel, similar to an actual Oreo should!
- Genuine black & white coloration. You received’t get the deep black coloration for the cookie shells by utilizing conventional cocoa, so I’ve included notes on the place to purchase black cocoa, as an alternative (it’s cheap and out there on Amazon).
What You Want
For the Cookies
Home made Oreos are surprisingly easy to make. Whereas there aren’t too many components in my Oreo cookie recipe, I’d prefer to go over a number of earlier than we get began.
- Black cocoa. I talked briefly about black cocoa in my pure vs. dutch course of cocoa put up, however you possibly can learn extra about it here. This sort of cocoa powder is crucial for correct Oreo taste and coloration. I embody notes on substituting different forms of cocoa within the recipe notes beneath, however simply know that it actually received’t be the identical cookie or have that traditional style with out black cocoa. I buy my black cocoa here on Amazon (affiliate).
- Butter. I like to make use of unsalted butter, however in the event you solely have salted butter readily available, you possibly can scale back the salt within the cookies to only ¼ teaspoon. Be sure that your butter is softened earlier than starting.
- Baking soda. This helps make the cookies a bit extra brittle, which helps them snap completely underneath your enamel. We’ll additionally add some baking powder, which isn’t the identical factor as baking soda! You possibly can learn extra concerning the variations between the 2 in my baking powder vs. baking soda put up.
- Vanilla. I exploit two forms of vanilla on this Oreo cookie recipe; pure vanilla within the cookies themselves, and clear vanilla for the filling. Extra on this beneath.
For the Filling
We want simply 5 components for the filling, considered one of which could shock you: shortening! I usually don’t prefer to bake with shortening, however I discovered it needed right here. Maintain studying to search out out why, and your choices for substitutes.
- Butter. As soon as once more, make certain your butter is softened earlier than getting began. I exploit unsalted butter right here too and add extra salt myself.
- Shortening. I discovered no less than some shortening was essential to preserve the filling from being too wealthy. Actual Oreos use shortening of their filling too, so it is smart to make use of it right here for essentially the most genuine outcomes. Regardless of this, a lot of you received’t need to use shortening, and, actually, I get it! You possibly can simply substitute the shortening with an equal quantity of butter, however simply comprehend it received’t be as true to the unique and will likely be fairly wealthy.
- Powdered sugar. Very similar to measuring flour, it may be straightforward to over-measure powdered sugar. Be sure you know find out how to measure correctly to keep away from a frosting that’s too thick or too skinny.
- Clear vanilla. This retains the filling pure white and likewise offers it that traditional Oreo filling taste. You should utilize common vanilla if that’s all you will have readily available, however the clear vanilla has a extra synthetic style like the actual factor (is that a bit of backwards so that you can learn, too? 🙃).
SAM’S TIP: If you need even BETTER tasting (much less genuine, however higher) home made Oreos, substitute the shortening within the filling for softened (full-fat) cream cheese. Yum!
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the put up!
How one can Make Home made Oreo Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar till effectively mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir effectively.
- Mix the dry components in a separate bowl, then steadily add them to the moist components and stir till mixed.
- Kind the dough into two discs, then wrap in plastic. Place within the fridge to sit back for no less than one hour.
- Unwrap one disc of dough and roll it to 1/16-⅛″ thick on a calmly floured floor. Periodically use a spatula to scrape and loosen the dough as you roll to forestall it from sticking.
- For those who’d like so as to add a sample to your cookies, use an embossed rolling pin or press an the other way up grid-patterned cooling rack into your dough to create a diamond form. You possibly can additionally skip this step for texture-free cookies.
- Reduce out the cookies with a small circle cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾”). Mix any scraps and re-roll after reducing. Repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 1″ aside. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450F.
SAM’S TIP: I personally favor my Oreo cookies to be a bit on the thinner facet, so I roll them nearer to 1/16″. You’ll get extra cookies this manner, however you’ll doubtless have to shave a minute off the bake time too.
- Let the cookies cool fully earlier than filling and sandwiching.
- Make the filling by creaming collectively the butter and shortening.
- Step by step add the powdered sugar, then add the vanilla and salt.
- Pipe or unfold the filling onto the flat facet of 1 cookie, then prime with the flat facet of one other. Repeat with the remaining cookies, and luxuriate in!
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Certain! You possibly can double the frosting recipe in the event you’d prefer to make your home made Oreos additional indulgent. Word that this frosting is a bit much less stiff than the store-bought sort, so it’d squish out if you chew into your cookies in the event you double stuff them.
Retailer them at room temperature and loved inside 5 days. Sadly the home made model doesn’t final close to so long as the store-bought sort (no synthetic preservatives right here), however that’s okay, as a result of these by no means final lengthy in my home anyway!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! For those who do that recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Home made Oreo Cookie Recipe
Servings: 40 cookies
Stop your display screen from going darkish
For cookie shells
In a big bowl cream collectively the butter and sugar utilizing an electrical mixer (or use a stand mixer) till effectively mixed.
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
Add the egg and vanilla to the butter combination and stir effectively.
1 giant egg, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively the flour, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
1 ¾ cups (220 g) all-purpose flour, ⅔ cups (67 g) black cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Step by step add the dry components to the moist components, mixing till effectively mixed.
Divide the dough into two equal elements, kind every right into a disk about 1″ thick, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for no less than 1 hour earlier than continuing.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Put aside.
Working with one disc of dough at at time, unwrap dough and switch to a clear, calmly floured floor. Calmly sprinkle flour over the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about ⅛-1/16″ (0.2cm) thickness. To assist preserve the dough from sticking to the counter, periodically use a spatula to scrape beneath the dough and loosen it from the counter.
To make the sample proven on my cookies: take a clear, grid-patterned cooling rack and flip it the other way up. Gently press into the cookie dough, then gently carry, rotate the cooling rack, and press once more earlier than gently lifting and eradicating. Alternatively, use an embossed rolling pin or skip the design altogether.
Usea small spherical cookie cutter (I exploit 1 ¾” (4.5cm) circles) to chop out circles and switch to baking sheet, spacing 1” (2.5cm) aside. When you’ve made as many cuts as attainable, remember to recombine the dough scraps, roll out once more, and reduce out extra cookies to maximise the dough yield.
Bake the cookies within the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Permit them to chill fully earlier than filling.
For the Filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, cream collectively the softened unsalted butter and shortening utilizing an electrical mixer.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, ¼ cup (45 g) vegetable shortening
Step by step add the powdered sugar, stirring till well-combined.
2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon clear vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Pipe or unfold a skinny layer of the filling on the flat facet of a cooled cookie, after which sandwich with one other cookie, flat facet down.
Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Take pleasure in!
I like to recommend black cocoa for greatest outcomes. That is the black cocoa that I use. It’s possible you’ll substitute Dutch course of cocoa and even pure cocoa, however the coloration and style is not going to be the identical.
I discovered shortening was needed to offer these cookies the right style and mouthfeel. Nonetheless, in the event you merely received’t use shortening, substitute with an equal quantity of butter. Word the filling will likely be richer, sweeter, and fewer genuine tasting.
Clear vanilla is advisable for the filling to maintain it pure white and to contribute to the extra synthetic taste of the store-bought Oreo cookie. Be happy to substitute with common vanilla extract.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 9g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 219IU | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.5mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.