These festive Easter cookies are tender and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and embellished to seem like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my straightforward glaze cookie icing. Attractive on a plate and fast to vanish, these springtime treats are eggs-tra particular. See what I did there? 😉
For in the present day’s Easter cookies, I take advantage of my basic sugar cookies recipe. No shock there, as a result of it’s one of the vital widespread recipes on my web site! It’s cherished by many, and definitely one to maintain in your again pocket together with my recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pie crust.
(For those who desire a tender and nearly creamier-style sugar cookie, you may take in the present day’s adorning inspiration and apply it to my cut-out cream cheese cookies.)
So A lot to Love About These Easter Cookies
- Texture: For those who hold the rolled-out dough thick sufficient, you’ll be rewarded with further tender and thick sugar cookie facilities. The sides are good and crisp, and the royal icing on prime provides a textural distinction as nicely.
- Taste: Candy, vanilla- and almond-hinted, and irresistibly buttery.
- Ease: The dough is surprisingly straightforward to place collectively, however in order for you the cookies to seem like the pictures right here, you’ll want just a few adorning instruments. See the complete checklist of Really useful Instruments under.
- Time: I like to recommend setting apart a day for making and adorning these Easter cookies. It’s usually 4 hours from begin to end, relying on the extent of adorning element you need. There’s loads of hands-off time if you wish to make one other considered one of my spring dessert recipes!
Overview: The right way to Make Easter Cookies
- Make cookie dough. You want 7–8 elements for the dough. With so few elements, it’s necessary that you simply comply with the recipe intently. Creamed butter and sugar present the bottom of the cookie dough. Egg is the cookie’s construction and vanilla extract provides taste. I nearly all the time add a contact of almond extract for extra taste. Flour is an apparent ingredient, baking powder provides just a little raise, and salt balances the candy.
- Divide in 2 items. Smaller sections of dough are simpler to roll out.
- Roll out cookie dough. Roll it out to 1/4-inch thickness. In case you have problem evenly rolling out dough, do that adjustable rolling pin. It’s actually useful!
- Chill rolled-out cookie dough. With out chilling, these cookie cutter cookies gained’t maintain their form. Chill the rolled-out cookie dough for not less than 2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- Reduce into shapes. For those who want ideas for cookie cutters, I like Ann Clark brand. (Not sponsored, only a real fan!) For the cookies pictured right here, I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Bake & cool. Relying on dimension, the cookies want about 12 minutes within the oven.
- Enhance. Extra on the icing under.
The Trick Is the Order of Steps
Discover how I roll out the dough BEFORE chilling it within the fridge?
Let me clarify why I do that. Identical to if you’re making, say, double chocolate chip cookies, to stop them from over-spreading, the cookie dough should chill within the fridge. For in the present day’s Easter cookies, roll out the dough proper after you make it, then chill the rolled-out dough. (As a result of at this level the dough is just too tender to chop into shapes.) Don’t chill the cookie dough after which attempt to roll it out as a result of it is going to be too chilly and onerous. I divide the dough in half earlier than rolling it out, and extremely suggest you do the identical. Smaller sections of dough are merely extra manageable.
Right here’s one other trick! Roll out the cookie dough immediately on silicone baking mats or parchment paper sheets so you may simply switch it to the fridge. Choose the entire thing up, set it on a baking sheet, and place it within the fridge. For those who don’t have sufficient room for two baking sheets in your fridge, you may stack the items of rolled-out dough on prime of one another (with parchment or baking mat in between).
The cookies keep tender for days, so if you wish to save time, these are a superb make-ahead Easter dessert choice since you gained’t lose any deliciousness. Hold them in an hermetic container at room temperature till prepared to embellish.
Select Your Icing
I hyperlink to 2 icing choices within the written recipe under. You should utilize both icing on in the present day’s Easter cookies, and it simply is dependent upon the look you’re going for. (And the way a lot effort you need to put in!)
- Select royal icing in order for you exact ornamental element in your cookies, significantly the Easter egg cookies in these pictures. It’s really my most well-liked sugar cookie icing as a result of it’s straightforward to make use of, dries in a few hours, and doesn’t have a texture similar to hardened cement. It’s really on the softer facet, with just a little crisp to it! It requires meringue powder, which is a specialty ingredient however is extra available lately. You could find it in some grocery retailer baking aisles, most craft shops which have a baking part, or you may shop for meringue powder online.
- Select straightforward cookie icing when you’re going for a extra easy design, such because the pictured bunnies and carrots. You would *in all probability* use this for the element on the Easter egg sugar cookies, however the element gained’t be as sharp. I normally go for this icing if I’m adorning with younger bakers, or if I don’t really feel like utilizing my electrical mixer. It has a glaze consistency, and takes longer to dry than the royal icing: about 24 hours.
On in the present day’s pictured cookies, I used royal icing.
Once more, use royal icing for clear particulars on the Easter egg-shaped cookies. Divide the batch of royal icing up into just a few bowls, and use gel meals coloring to tint the icing totally different colours. I take advantage of Wilton round icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding, then let that layer dry fully. I normally place the embellished cookies on a baking sheet (or I adorn them immediately on the baking sheet), make some room within the fridge, and stick the pan inside. The icing will set in about half-hour.
Or use glaze-style cookie icing for a easy ornament. This works on merely embellished cookies similar to these Christmas sugar cookies and would work splendidly on the bunnies and carrots in in the present day’s pictures. (You would, in fact, use royal icing for the bunnies and carrots as a substitute.)
For the bunnies, I stored the icing white and added sanding sugar sprinkles on prime whereas the icing was moist, then reduce a mini marshmallow in half for the tail. For the carrots, I stored the icing white for the stems and added inexperienced sanding sugar. Then I tinted among the icing orange for the carrot itself.
For the bunnies, you can even skip the marshmallow tails and use some melted chocolate or brown icing so as to add eyes and a nostril. So cute!
Stack, wrap, present, and/or retailer: As soon as the icing layers have set, you may stack, wrap, present, ship, and/or retailer these Easter cookies for every week. Are you able to consider that among the cookies in these photos are 3 weeks previous? I froze them, allow them to thaw on the counter, and snapped an image earlier than I set them out for serving. There’s just a little little bit of a texture distinction between frozen and thawed icing and freshly made icing (each icings style a *bit* more durable after freezing), however nobody ever appears to thoughts… or discover.
Really useful Instruments for Your Easter Cookies
- Handheld or Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin or this Adjustable Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets
- Cookie Cutters: I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set. That set contains an egg and a bunny, plus different Easter- and spring-themed shapes.
- Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit: In my expertise, that is the BEST coloring for royal icing and easy glaze cookie icing. The colours are all the time so wealthy and vivid. You solely want a teeny drip for the pastel colours in in the present day’s cookies. So these colours will final you a really very long time! I used the sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. And I used the orange for the carrots.
- Piping Ideas/Squeeze Bottle: For those who’re utilizing piping luggage and icing suggestions, I like to recommend Wilton icing tip #4 for outlining and flooding your cookies. For exact element, such because the dots and features on the Easter egg cookies, use icing tip #2 or icing tip #1. For those who’re not piping intricate particulars in your cookies, you need to use a squeeze bottle as a substitute of piping luggage and icing suggestions. A bottle is much less intimidating than piping suggestions, and really straightforward for younger bakers to make use of. I don’t suggest a squeeze bottle in order for you sharp icing element, although.
- Disposable or reusable piping bags: You should utilize these for both icing, alongside along with your icing suggestions.
- Coupler(s): For those who solely have 1 piping tip and need to adorn with a number of colours of icing, hold the tip on the skin of the bag through the use of a coupler so you may simply switch the piping tip to different luggage of coloured icing.
- Sanding Sugar Sprinkles: These are bought in most grocery shops within the baking aisle. You can too get them organized on-line. I like Wilton or CK Products manufacturers. I take advantage of these on the pictured bunnies and carrot cookies.
You’ll additionally get pleasure from my buttercream egg candies or peanut butter eggs. And hop on over to my Easter recipes part or my Easter brunch recipes put up or Easter dessert recipes put up when you want extra scrumptious concepts. 🙂
These festive Easter cookies are tender and buttery with hints of vanilla and almond. Fairly in pastel shades, they’re topped with my favourite royal icing and embellished like Easter eggs, PEEPS-inspired bunnies with marshmallow tails, and easy carrots. For less complicated designs, like on the bunnies and carrots, you need to use my straightforward glaze cookie icing.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a handheld or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive pace till fully clean and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and almond extract (if utilizing) and beat on excessive pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend on low pace till mixed. Dough will likely be a bit tender. If the dough appears too tender and sticky for rolling, add 1 extra Tablespoon of flour.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal elements. Place every portion onto a bit of flippantly floured parchment paper or a flippantly floured silicone baking mat. With a flippantly floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use extra flour if the dough appears too sticky. The rolled-out dough may be any form, so long as it’s evenly 1/4-inch thick.
- Calmly mud one of many rolled-out dough parts with flour. Place a bit of parchment paper on prime. (This prevents sticking.) Place the 2nd rolled-out dough on prime. Cowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then refrigerate for not less than 1–2 hours and as much as 2 days.
- As soon as chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 or 3 giant baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Fastidiously take away the highest dough piece from the fridge. If it’s sticking to the underside, run your hand below it to assist take away it. Utilizing a cookie cutter, reduce the dough into shapes. I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set.
- Re-roll the remaining dough and proceed chopping till all is used. Repeat with 2nd piece of dough. (Be aware: It doesn’t seem to be lots of dough, however you get lots of cookies from the dough scraps you re-roll.)
- Organize cookies on baking sheets 3 inches aside. Bake for 11–12 minutes or till flippantly browned across the edges. In case your oven has scorching spots, rotate the baking sheets midway by means of bake time. Permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes, then switch to a wire rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
- Enhance: Put together royal icing or cookie glaze icing. For those who’re utilizing royal icing, it’s finest to make use of piping luggage and suggestions. For those who’re utilizing the cookie glaze icing, you need to use a squeeze bottle or piping luggage/suggestions. Needless to say in order for you sharp design element on the Easter eggs, it’s finest to make use of royal icing and piping luggage/suggestions.
- For the carrots and bunnies: Hold many of the icing white for the bunnies and carrot tops, and tint some orange for the carrots. Utilizing icing tip #4 or a squeeze bottle, define and flood the bunnies and the carrot tops with white icing. Instantly prime with sanding sugar sprinkles. And, for the bunnies, add a halved marshmallow “tail” whereas the icing remains to be moist. If making the carrot cookies, define and flood the orange icing after making use of the inexperienced sprinkles on the carrot tops. Permit icing to set. No must cowl the embellished cookies as you watch for the icing to set. If it’s useful, adorn the cookies immediately on a baking sheet so you may place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist pace up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours, and cookie glaze icing units in about 24 hours.
- For the Easter eggs: Divide icing up amongst just a few bowls. I used 4 colors: sky blue, lemon yellow, violet, and fuchsia. I left some icing white. Utilizing icing tip #4, define and flood along with your base colour(s). Permit icing to set (I place the cookies within the fridge so the icing units in about half-hour). Utilizing piping tip #2 or piping tip #1, add ornamental designs in several colours like polka dots, squiggles, plaid, or stripes. Permit icing to set. No must cowl the embellished cookies as you watch for the icing to set. If it’s useful, adorn the cookies immediately on a baking sheet so you may place your complete baking sheet within the fridge to assist pace up the icing setting. Royal icing units inside about 2 hours.
- Get pleasure from cookies instantly or wait till the icing units to serve them. As soon as the icing has set, these cookies are nice for gifting or for sending. Plain or embellished cookies keep tender for about 5 days when coated tightly at room temperature. For longer storage, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 10 days.
- Freezing Directions: Plain or embellished sugar cookies freeze nicely as much as 3 months. Watch for the icing to set fully earlier than layering between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container. To thaw, thaw within the fridge or at room temperature. You can too freeze the cookie dough for as much as 3 months earlier than rolling it out. Put together the dough by means of step 3, divide in half, flatten each halves into discs as we do with pie crust, wrap every in plastic wrap, then freeze. To thaw, thaw the discs within the fridge, then carry to room temperature for about 1 hour. Roll out the dough as directed in step 4, then chill rolled-out dough within the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour earlier than chopping into shapes and baking.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Handheld or Stand Mixer) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Cookie Cutters (I used an egg cookie cutter, bunny cookie cutters, and the carrot from this set) | Americolor Soft Gel Paste Color Kit | Wilton Icing Tip #4 for outlining and flooding | Wilton Icing Tip #2 or Wilton Icing Tip #1 for Easter egg element | Squeeze Bottle | Disposable or Reusable Piping Bags | Couplers
- Room Temperature: Room-temperature butter is crucial. If the dough is just too sticky, your butter might have been too tender. Room-temperature butter is definitely cool to the contact. Room-temperature egg is most well-liked so it’s shortly and evenly blended into the cookie dough.
- Flavors: I like flavoring this cookie dough with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract as listed within the elements above. For lighter taste, use 1/4 teaspoon. As a substitute of the almond extract, strive utilizing 1 teaspoon of maple extract, coconut extract, lemon extract, or peppermint extract. If utilizing lemon extract, it’s also possible to add 1 Tablespoon lemon zest.
- Make sure you take a look at my prime 5 cookie baking suggestions AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.