Creamy garlic hen and greens is a household favourite dinner, and I guess it is going to be a success in your desk, too! Tender hen thighs get the pan-seared remedy earlier than baking in an uber-flavorful creamy garlic pan sauce, alongside vibrant roasted greens. On the desk in 45 minutes!
You’re taking a look at a comfortable skillet hen and vegetable dinner, considered one of my favourite methods to prepare dinner and serve hen as a result of (1) it’s fairly simple, (2) it’s very saucy, and (3) it’s massively scrumptious.
I initially printed this creamy garlic hen recipe in 2016, and have made a few tweaks through the years. The entire concept is just like my cilantro lime hen and lemon thyme hen recipes. Cook dinner the hen, make a pan sauce, after which end all of it up within the oven. This time I’m including roasted greens to the combo to make a rounded-out all-in-one meal. If I’m serving a big meal with somewhat extra substance, I serve it throughout some brown rice.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Creamy Garlic Rooster:
- Healthful and satisfying
- Tender, juicy hen
- Tremendous flavorful creamy, garlicky pan sauce
- All-in-one meal
- Gluten-free recipe
- Customise it along with your favourite greens
Seize These Components:
- Boneless, Skinless Rooster Thighs: You may make this dish with boneless, skinless hen breasts, however I like to make use of hen thighs as a result of they prepare dinner quicker, and the fattier meat makes for some scrumptious pan drippings, which function the flavorful base for the pan sauce. Similar purpose I exploit them on this apple cider hen skillet recipe!
- Greens: Determine a couple of cup of veggies per individual. I particularly love this garlic hen & greens recipe with broccoli and butternut squash, however you should use any greens that you simply love roasted. Potatoes, carrots, candy potatoes, cauliflower, inexperienced beans, asparagus, Brussels sprouts… you get the concept!
And right here’s what you want for the fabulously creamy garlic pan sauce:
- Butter: Just a bit pat, for that unparalleled buttery taste.
- Onion: Somewhat diced onion makes for an incredible taste base.
- Garlic: You’ll have to mince 7 or 8 recent garlic cloves. Sure, I stated 8! That is garlic sauce!
- Dried Parsley, Salt, & Pepper: Taste
- Rooster Broth: Flavorful liquid for the sauce.
- Half-and-half: You need to use entire milk as a substitute, however I don’t suggest utilizing a lower-fat milk. Decrease-fat milks are extra susceptible to curdling when added to warmth as a result of they don’t have a excessive fats content material.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch thickens the sauce into a beautiful creamy consistency. Whisk it into the half-and-half to start dissolving it; including cornstarch on to the pan would make for a lumpy sauce, which isn’t what we would like!
Step 1: Roast the Greens within the Oven
No matter vegetable medley you select, chop them into roughly uniform-sized items, so they are going to roast evenly. Unfold them in a single layer on a baking sheet (I at all times use these half-sheet pans, the exact same ones I exploit for chocolate chip cookies!), and toss with somewhat olive oil and salt and pepper.
Success Tip: Don’t crowd the pan. If there are too many greens all crowding collectively, they’ll steam as a substitute of roast, and might be comfortable and mushy. If you wish to add additional greens, unfold them out over two baking sheets to provide them some room to breathe (er, roast).
Step 2: Brown the Rooster on the Range
Whereas the greens are roasting, brown the hen thighs in a big, oven-safe skillet on the range. You need them browned and somewhat crisp on the surface, however not cooked right through—about 4 minutes on all sides. The hen will end cooking within the oven somewhat later.
Take away the hen from the skillet. No want to wash the skillet—the hen thighs depart behind a lot taste, and we’re going to use each final drop of it for the pan sauce. No taste left behind!
Step 3: Make the Creamy Garlic Pan Sauce
Add the butter, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, and broth to the skillet, and get that cooking collectively. Be sure you scrape the underside of the skillet to include the scrumptious browned bits.
Whisk the cornstarch into the half-and-half, after which slowly pour it into the pan. Stir the creamy garlic sauce whereas it cooks, for a couple of minute or so.
LOOK HOW CREAMY:
Step 4: Mix Every part & End within the Oven
Now let’s mix. Add the browned hen thighs and roasted veggies to the skillet, turning the whole lot to get all of it good and coated. Switch the skillet to the oven and bake for simply 5–10 minutes, or till the hen is cooked by means of. (Internal temperature ought to be not less than 165°F (74°C)).
Every part begins to take in that flavorful effervescent garlic cream sauce:
You’ll be on the lookout for methods to get pleasure from each final drop of that sauce… you may serve this dish over rice, or simply mop your plate clear with some cornbread, biscuits, or dinner rolls!
Widespread Rooster Recipes
I don’t publish savory recipes too typically on my baking web site, so once I do, you recognize they’re additional examined, and further tasty. Beneath are a few of my favorites, and every are highly regarded with readers on my web site. I hope you attempt right now’s creamy garlic hen, and the next recipes, too:
Creamy garlic hen and greens is a household favourite dinner, and I guess it is going to be a success in your desk, too! Tender hen thighs get the pan-seared remedy earlier than baking in an uber-flavorful creamy garlic pan sauce, alongside vibrant roasted greens (use your favorites). On the desk in 45 minutes!
- Roast the greens: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfold the greens out in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, and stir to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the greens for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, brown the hen: Warmth the remaining 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a big 12-inch skillet over medium warmth, and swirl to coat. I often use a cast iron skillet, however any skillet this measurement works. It’s also possible to use a Dutch oven. Place the hen thighs within the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and prepare dinner for 4 minutes on all sides. You need the hen frivolously browned on the surface, however not absolutely cooked within the facilities as a result of they are going to end cooking within the oven. Switch hen to a plate and loosely cowl with foil. You’ll add it again to the pan in step 4.
- Make the pan sauce: Add the butter to the new pan (no have to wipe it out first), and gently swirl to coat because it melts. Add the salt, pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, and hen broth. Cook dinner and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the underside of the skillet. Let the sauce simmer for five minutes, stirring/scraping often. With a fork, whisk collectively the half-and-half and cornstarch. Slowly pour the half-and-half/cornstarch combination into the skillet, stirring or whisking to mix. Cook dinner, stirring, for 1 minute. Style and alter seasoning if wanted.
- Add the hen and roasted greens to the skillet, stirring to coat the whole lot within the sauce. Switch the skillet to the oven and bake for five–10 minutes, or till the hen is cooked by means of (internal temperature ought to be not less than 165°F (74°C)).
- Take away from the oven and garnish with recent parsley earlier than serving, if desired.
- Leftovers hold properly within the fridge for a couple of days. You may reheat on the range over medium warmth or within the microwave.
- Freezing Directions: Cool fully, then cowl and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge or at room temperature, after which reheat on the range over medium warmth or within the microwave.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Baking Sheet | Parchment Paper | 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet (or common oven-safe skillet of the identical measurement) | Whisk | Tongs | Instant-Read Thermometer
- Greens: Use about 4 cups of any greens you want, protecting in thoughts that they need to be chopped into similar-size items to make sure they roast evenly. Some ideas: pink or gold potatoes, carrots, candy potatoes, cauliflower, inexperienced beans, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts.
- Can I exploit hen breasts as a substitute of hen thighs? You may, however you’ll lose some taste, and so they could take longer to prepare dinner.
- Half-and-half: You need to use half-and-half or entire milk. I don’t suggest heavy cream as a result of it’s too thick. For those who determine to make use of it, you will have to exclude the cornstarch, although the outcomes will differ. Decrease-fat milks are extra susceptible to curdling when added to warmth as a result of they don’t have a excessive fats content material. Once more, half-and-half or entire milk are very best.
- Up to date in 2023. Authentic recipe known as for five cloves of garlic, 1 cup (240ml) hen broth, and hen breasts. You actually need somewhat extra garlic to actually name this a “garlic hen” dish, so I elevated the quantity. I additionally discovered somewhat extra liquid within the sauce is useful for quantity, and whereas you should use hen breasts right here, I want hen thighs.
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 310
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 286.3 mg
- Fats: 18.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 93.5 mg
Key phrases: creamy garlic hen and greens