These Coconut Cream Bars are made with a mushy, buttery cookie bar base topped with a light-weight coconut frosting and toasted coconut. A fast and simple deal with for spring or summer time! Recipe features a how-to video!
Straightforward Coconut Bars
These coconut cream bars are an irresistible mashup between coconut cake and coconut cookies. And I do imply irresistible, as soon as I make them it’s important I make myself a small ration then pack them up and get them out the door, in any other case I end them off all on my own.
They’re mushy and chewy, and they’re topped with a brand new and improved coconut frosting. Thanks to some tweaks, the frosting is now less complicated and fewer candy than the unique recipe, however nonetheless simply as tasty (tastier, truthfully)! A little bit of toasted coconut on prime provides texture and a heat, toasty taste, and they’re able to serve.
A recipe like coconut cream bars has plenty of potential to be too candy. To assist offset the sweetness, each the bottom and the frosting used right here at the moment are tempered by a small portion of cream cheese.
This provides an especially refined, almost imperceptible tang, nevertheless it does wonders in conserving the bars from being too wealthy. I take advantage of this similar trick in my sugar cookie bars, and kind of fell in love with it.
Why I feel you’ll love my recipe:
- Prepared in lower than an hour!
- Satisfying, however not too candy.
- Makes 24 servings, so it’s nice for events!
- Comfortable and chewy texture with a crunchy toasted coconut topping.
What You Want
Whereas these coconut cream bars are easy, you need to pay shut consideration to the next components:
- Unsalted butter. We’ll use unsalted butter in each the cookie bars and the frosting. Be sure that your butter is softened to room temperature earlier than you start.
- Coconut. Use sweetened shredded coconut. Whilst you technically don’t have to toast among the coconut, I strongly advocate it. It simply takes a couple of minutes to do and provides texture.
- Coconut extract. Whereas this isn’t an ingredient I at all times hold stocked in my pantry, I do advocate it for this recipe, it makes an enormous distinction! With out it, the bars are nonetheless good, however the coconut topping alone doesn’t pack as a lot of a coconut punch all through the entire thing as I have a tendency to love.
- Egg + egg yolk. An additional yolk provides richness to the dough and promotes a young, chewy chew.
- Cream cheese. Moreover tempering the sweetness within the frosting, only a small quantity of cream cheese blended into the dough makes the bars delectably mushy and melt-in-your-mouth. The cookie bar base of this recipe is completely different than you could anticipate or be used to, it’s distinctive in its taste and texture, and it’s simply so dang good!
SAM’S TIP: I really like topping off my coconut cream bars with a drizzle of melted darkish chocolate. It provides an entire new dimension of taste, and jogs my memory of my coconut macaroons!
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Tips on how to Make Coconut Cream Bars
Make the Bar Layer
A easy however tremendous tender cookie bar, this comes collectively shortly.
- Cream collectively the butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar utilizing an electrical mixer. Do that till the combination is gentle and creamy, about 1 minute on medium-high pace.
- Stir within the eggs and extracts till fully integrated.
- Mix the dry components in a separate bowl, then add them to the moist components.
- Unfold the batter right into a parchment lined 9×13 pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350F. Let the bars cool fully of their pan earlier than frosting.
Toast Coconut & Make Frosting
Toasting the coconut is, technically, non-obligatory, nevertheless it not solely provides much more depth of taste, it provides a pleasing crunch to the bars.
- Toast the coconut – Whereas the bars cool, scatter ½ cup (60g) of coconut over a parchment lined sheet. Place in your 350F oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Take away the coconut from the oven, toss with a spatula, and prepare dinner in 3 minute increments till toasted. Let the coconut cool whilst you make the frosting.
- Make the frosting – Cream collectively the butter and cream cheese till easy.
- Progressively add the powdered sugar, then stir within the extract and salt.
- Unfold the frosting over the cooled cookie bars.
- Add the coconut – Sprinkle the untoasted coconut over the frosted bars, then add the toasted coconut on prime. Reduce, serve, and revel in!
SAM’S TIP: Keep shut by the oven whereas toasting your coconut, as a result of it could actually burn shortly! Be sure that to examine on it incessantly and provides it just a few turns with a spatula to verify it’s cooking evenly.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Retailer these bars in an hermetic container. So far as refrigeration goes, it’s actually as much as you and your consolation degree. I’ve left desserts made with cream cheese frosting at room temperature for as much as 2 days; however many individuals really feel higher refrigerating immediately. Do what feels greatest for you and your loved ones!
Sure! Should you do, it would be best to bake in a 9×9 pan and cut back the baking time (however not the temperature). I haven’t tried this myself, so I can’t say how lengthy they’ll bake in a 9×9 pan (however please let me know in case you attempt it!).
These are positively candy, however not cloyingly so, which is strictly what I’d aimed for. Including cream cheese to the frosting and the bottom helps loads with this!
Can’t get sufficient coconut? Strive my island cookies or coconut cream pie!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! Should you do that recipe, you should definitely tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Coconut Cream Bars
These coconut cream bars are made with a mushy, buttery cookie bar base topped with a light-weight coconut frosting and toasted coconut. A fast and simple deal with for spring or summer time! Recipe contains how-to video.
Servings: 24 squares
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350F (177C) and put together a 13×9 pan by lining with parchment paper (or flippantly grease and flour). Put aside.
Mix butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a big mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat till gentle, creamy, and well-combined (about 1 minute medium/excessive pace).
1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, 2 oz (57 g) cream cheese, 1 ¾ cup (350 g) sugar
Add eggs, egg yolk, and extracts and stir properly.
2 massive eggs + 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking powder, and salt.
2 ½ cups (285 g) all objective flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt
Progressively add dry components to moist, stirring on medium-low pace till fully mixed.
Unfold batter evenly into ready pan and bake within the heart rack of 350F (175C) oven for 25 minutes. Enable cookie bars to chill fully in pan earlier than protecting with coconut cream frosting. — Don’t flip off the oven, you’ll use subsequent if toasting your coconut.
Coconut Cream Frosting
(Optionally available) Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle ½ cup (60g) of coconut evenly over the cookie sheet. Bake in 350F (177C) oven for 4-5 minutes, take away, flip with spatula, and return to oven and repeat if wanted in 3 minute intervals till coconut is flippantly browned. Enable toasted coconut to chill whilst you put together the frosting.
1 ½ cups (180 g) sweetened shredded coconut
Mix butter and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat till easy and creamy.
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, 3 oz (85 g) cream cheese
Progressively add powdered sugar, beating till mixed.
2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
Add coconut extract and salt and stir till properly mixed.
½ teaspoon coconut extract, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Unfold the frosting in a good layer over the cooled bars.
Sprinkle untoasted coconut evenly over cookie bars then prime with toasted coconut. Reduce and serve.
Optionally available: For an additional decadent deal with, drizzle with melted darkish chocolate.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 days or within the fridge in an hermetic container for as much as every week.
Serving: 1sq. | Energy: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 20g | Saturated Fats: 14g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.
I initially revealed this recipe in April of 2017. I’ve up to date the recipe as a result of I felt the frosting on the unique was far too candy, so this model features a less-sweet frosting. I’ve additionally up to date the images, improved the textual content to be extra useful, and added a how-to video.