Infused with the wealthy, nutty taste of browned butter, loaded with semisweet chocolate, and topped with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, these brown butter chocolate chip cookies are positively gourmand. Recipe contains step-by-step information on learn how to brown butter and a how-to video!
The BEST Brown Butter Cookies
I nearly wish to name these brown butter chocolate chip cookies my finest chocolate chip cookies ever. They’re only a notch under my “worst” chocolate chip cookies (nothing can prime these life ruiners), so I believe calling them the most effective is perhaps truthful.
Anyway, what actually units this recipe aside out of your normal chocolate chip cookie recipe is one key magical ingredient: brown butter. Brown butter (extra formally recognized by its French title: Buerre Noisette…fancy!), is solely butter that’s been cooked till all the water evaporates and the milk solids start to show brown.
The top result’s a wealthy, flavorful butter with a nutty, toffee-like aroma. When utilized in baked items (particularly cookies, but in addition my butter pecan cake), it yields a buttery, wealthy, and flavorful finish product. And it’s totally superb in these chocolate chip cookies.
If the concept of cooking it on the stovetop till it’s completely browned (and never burnt!) sounds a little bit intimidating, don’t panic! I’ve an in-depth publish on learn how to brown butter you possibly can learn earlier than beginning, and I additionally cowl this intimately in my video under.
Whenever you’re prepared, seize a saucepan and two sticks of (unsalted) butter, and put together your self for probably the most gourmand cookies you’ve ever tasted!
5 issues to like about this recipe:
- No mixer wanted.
- Simply half-hour of chilling.
- Dough could be made upfront and even frozen.
- INCREDIBLE taste!
What You Want
Regardless of their gourmand taste, these brown butter chocolate chip cookies use fairly humble, on a regular basis elements. Right here’s what you want:
- Brown butter. This takes simply minutes to make on the range! Notice that you’ll want to let the butter cool after browning, which often takes about half-hour to an hour. It’s not essential for the butter to re-solidify, but it surely shouldn’t really feel heat to the contact.
- Sugar. We’ll use a mix of brown and granulated sugar. Once more, it is advisable to wait till the butter has cooled earlier than including the sugars; in any other case, you would find yourself melting the sugars and making a greasy, runny cookie dough that may unfold throughout your cookie sheet. So take the time to let your butter cool!
- Eggs. We’d like all of our elements to be the identical temperature so that they mix correctly. This implies our eggs and butter each have to be room temperature. I often set my eggs out the evening earlier than I’m going to be baking. In case you overlook to set yours out, learn my tip under!
- Chocolate. I do know I name these brown butter chocolate chip cookies, however I truthfully favor to make use of chopped semisweet (and even darkish) chocolate bars. I do embrace directions within the recipe for utilizing common chocolate chips, although!
SAM’S TIP: In case you are inclined to overlook to set out your eggs forward of time, learn my publish on learn how to shortly convey eggs to room temperature! It’s a sport changer.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
The best way to Make Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown the butter – Prepare dinner the butter over low/medium-low warmth, stirring continually, till browned. The butter will foam, sizzle, and pop after melting, then as soon as the scorching stops, you’ll discover browning starting to happen on the underside of the pan. When you see loads of brown (not black!) bits, take away from warmth and permit to chill utterly.
- Stir collectively cooled butter and sugars till mixed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and stir effectively.
- Mix the dry elements in a separate bowl, then step by step stir them into the moist elements.
- Stir within the chocolate, then cowl and chill the dough not less than half-hour. This step is obligatory!
- Roll 2 tablespoon-sized scoops between your palms earlier than putting 2″ aside on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes–don’t over-bake!
- Take away from the oven, sprinkle with a contact of flaky sea salt, and let cool utterly on the baking sheets earlier than having fun with.
SAM’S TIP: Barely underbake your cookies! When they’re prepared to come back out of the oven, the perimeters will likely be simply beginning to flip a lightweight golden brown, and the facilities should look underdone. The cookies will end cooking outdoors the oven on their cookie sheets. That is how I obtain mushy and chewy cookie perfection!
Continuously Requested Questions
Browned butter chocolate chip cookie dough could be made as much as per week upfront. In case you’d like to do that, simply retailer it in your fridge (in an hermetic container or tightly lined with plastic wrap) till prepared to make use of. The flavors will truly develop much more because the dough sits.
Needless to say in case your dough has chilled for longer than half-hour, it should probably be fairly agency if you go to scoop it. If it’s too troublesome to scoop, simply let it sit at room temperature for 10-Quarter-hour so it may well soften a bit.
The most definitely trigger is your butter being too heat if you added your sugars. The nice and cozy butter can soften the sugars and go away you with a greasy, messy cookie dough that may unfold like loopy. Sadly there is no such thing as a option to repair this (even chilling the dough received’t assist 😞). This is the reason it’s very essential to let your butter cool earlier than transferring ahead with the recipe!
However, in case your cookies aren’t flattening out in any respect, you might have over-measured your flour. I can’t stress sufficient how useful it’s to make use of a kitchen scale!
You might, however your cookies received’t be as mushy in case you do. They may also unfold a bit extra with out the cornstarch.
I’d love to listen to how you want these in comparison with my “worst” chocolate chip cookies!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In case you do that recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Servings: 20 cookies
Stop your display screen from going darkish
The best way to Brown Butter (it’s simple!)³
Place butter in a medium-sized saucepan (ideally a lightweight coloured one–it will make it simpler to inform as soon as your butter has browned) and soften the butter over low/medium-low warmth.
1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter
As soon as melted, enhance stovetop warmth to simply above medium warmth.
Swirl and scrape the perimeters of the pan continually with a picket spoon or heatproof spatula – butter will foam and pop. As soon as the this noise slows, you need to discover brown bits starting to type on the underside.
When you discover browning (and also you scent that stunning nutty aroma of browned butter), take away from warmth shortly and pour into a big, heatproof bowl.
Enable butter to chill at room temperature till now not heat to the contact earlier than continuing with the recipe.
As soon as your butter has cooled, add sugars and stir effectively.
1 cup (200 g) mild or darkish brown sugar¹, ⅔ cup (135 g) white sugar
Add eggs and vanilla extract and stir till dough is uniform.
2 massive eggs, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2 ¾ cups (340 g) all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt
Progressively add the flour combination to butter combination, stirring till elements are utterly mixed.
Add chocolate and stir effectively in order that chocolate is effectively distributed by means of the batter.
10 oz (285 g) semisweet chocolate²
Cowl cookie dough bowl with plastic wrap and chill within the fridge for not less than half-hour.
About Quarter-hour earlier than dough has completed chilling/earlier than you’re able to bake, preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
As soon as dough has completed chilling scoop by about 2 Tablespoon-sized parts. Gently roll the dough between your palms so that you’ve a spherical ball, then place cookie dough not less than 2″ aside on ready cookie sheet.
Bake on 350F (175C) for 10-12 minutes or till edges are simply starting to show golden brown (cookies ought to nonetheless be fairly mushy if you take away them from the oven, and will even seem barely underbaked in heart).
Let cookies cool for a couple of minute then sprinkle flippantly with flaky sea salt. Enable cookies to chill utterly on baking sheet earlier than eradicating, then get pleasure from!
flaky sea salt for sprinkling
I like to make use of half mild and half darkish brown sugar, simply because I often have each available and just like the mix. Both selection will work high quality on this recipe, although. Cookies made with mild brown sugar will likely be lighter in shade, cookies made with darkish brown sugar will likely be darker in shade and barely richer in taste.
You possibly can substitute chocolate chips as an alternative, you’d want about 1 ¾ cups chocolate chips.
³Brown Butter Notice
In case you’ve by no means browned butter earlier than and are nervous concerning the course of, make sure that to look at my video under so you possibly can see precisely how I do it.
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as per week.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 302kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 15g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 318IU | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
I initially revealed this recipe Might 2017. Put up improved and up to date July 2023, recipe stays the identical.