If it’s wholesome grab-and-go morning gas you’re after, strive these straightforward breakfast egg muffins. As scrumptious as a frittata however in hand-held kind, these protein-packed breakfast bites are naturally gluten free and low-carb. The very best half is you can also make a batch at the start of the week, and reheat as wanted.
Do you meal prep? I attempt to once I can, however life often will get in the way in which. When I’ve time (and my act collectively!), I often bake a batch of rooster meatballs, breakfast cookies, and in the present day’s egg muffins. That method we now have a lunch possibility, plus a pair wholesome breakfast/snack choices readily available.
Immediately’s egg muffins maintain very well, and similar to while you make a breakfast casserole or frittata, you’ll be able to customise the flavour by selecting completely different add-ins. Make the spinach and pepper model within the recipe card beneath, strive the ham and cheese model detailed within the recipe Notes, or combine issues as much as uncover your personal favourite model!
You’ll Love These Egg Muffins As a result of:
- Fast & straightforward meal prep recipe that makes for faster and simpler breakfasts all week
- Protein-packed, wholesome, gluten-free, and low-carb breakfast or snack
- Excellent for busy mornings
- Simpler than quiche and mini quiche… no messing with pie crust!
- Baked in a normal 12-count muffin pan (no fancy kitchen instruments required)
- These mighty muffins get your greens in very first thing, a robust begin to the day!
How you can Make the Greatest Egg Muffins (Belief Me, I Examined!)
- 8 Massive Eggs: The muse of those mini frittatas/muffins.
- 1/3 Cup Milk: Entire milk makes for the most effective texture, but it surely’s a small quantity, so it’s not a giant deal to make use of low-fat or nondairy milk as a substitute. You may also use half-and-half for a creamier texture. In check batches with out milk, the muffins tasted dry.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder are the flavour enhancers!
- Add-Ins: I included bell peppers, tomatoes, and spinach within the recipe beneath, however you’ll be able to select no matter greens you want. I even have a ham and cheese model detailed within the recipe Notes.
- Cheese: Use no matter kind of cheese you take pleasure in finest with eggs. My favourite is crumbled feta, adopted intently by shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Begin by whisking the eggs, milk, and seasonings collectively in a bowl. I like to make use of a mixing bowl with a pour spout. No matter greens/cooked meats you’re utilizing as add-ins, chop them up fairly finely.
Be sure to spray the muffin pan very well with nonstick spray. In an early spherical of testing, I brushed the muffin cups with olive oil, and the egg muffins caught to the pan… what a nightmare to scrub!
Divide the add-ins among the many 12 muffin cups. It finally ends up being about 2–3 Tablespoons of add-ins in every. Sprinkle the cheese over each. Then pour the egg combination on prime.
See beneath: spinach, pepper, tomato, + feta model on the left and ham + cheddar model on the correct.
The egg muffins take about 20 minutes to bake. Count on them to stand up actually tall whereas they bake, like a soufflé, and look sort of uneven and wonky. Embrace the wonkiness; I promise it’s okay. 😉 The egg muffins deflate as they cool.
Egg Muffin Flavors
- Spinach, Tomato, Pepper, Feta: Within the recipe card beneath.
- Ham & Cheddar Egg Muffins: Substitute the bell peppers, tomatoes, and spinach with 1 and 1/2 cups (225g or 6 oz.) of cooked ham (small-diced) and a couple of Tablespoons chopped recent parsley or chives. Substitute the feta cheese with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. All directions stay the identical.
- Different Add-ins and Cheeses: Use about 1 and 1/2 cups (round 225g) add-ins + 3/4 cup cheese whole. The model included within the recipe card makes use of about 2 cups, however I don’t really matter spinach as a result of it hardly takes up any room! Favourite add-ins embrace cooked meats (or plant-based alternate options) like chopped/crumbled sausage, bacon, or rooster. Or strive mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, cooked corn, cooked potato, and/or cooked broccoli. You’ll be able to combine any of those collectively to whole round 1 and 1/2 cups. Favourite cheeses embrace white cheddar, pepper jack, smoked gouda, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Refrigerating: As soon as the egg muffins are fully cool, switch them to a meals storage container(s), cowl tightly, and refrigerate. Egg muffins might be saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days. These are the food storage containers I’ve, that are microwave-, oven-, dishwasher-, AND freezer-safe.
- Freezing: For longer storage, be sure that your container is freezer-safe, and freeze the egg muffins for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge in a single day, and observe the reheating directions beneath. Or skip thawing and microwave for 1–2 minutes, or till warmed by.
- Microwave: Wrap or cowl egg muffins with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20–30 seconds, or till warmed by. (Don’t overheat, or they may style rubbery.)
- Oven: Bake, lined, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 minutes, or till warmed by.
- Air Fryer: Air fry at 375°F (191°C) for 3–4 minutes, or till warmed all through.
What to Serve With Egg Muffins
These breakfast bites are egg-cellent on their very own, or alongside recent fruit or a smoothie. I additionally love them served with salsa and avocado, or sprinkled with chopped parsley and chives, grated parmesan cheese, or a pinch of pink pepper flakes.
For those who’re planning to serve these egg muffins as a part of a much bigger meal like a brunch, they pair properly with ham and potato casserole, baked cream cheese French toast casserole, complete wheat waffles or complete wheat pancakes, and cinnamon rolls. (Nicely, I could make a case for cinnamon rolls to go along with just about something.)
Like omelets and scrambled eggs, the muffins will clearly be moist and spongy. However they shouldn’t be soggy and overly moist. For those who’re experiencing this, you’ll have added too many add-ins, or the muffins had been underbaked.
Sure, completely. For mini egg muffins, chop your greens/add-ins even finer and use a mini muffin pan. Use the identical oven temperature, however cut back the bake time to about 10 minutes.
That is fully regular and anticipated. Cheesecake and chocolate soufflé, each egg-heavy objects, deflate when cooling, too. That’s as a result of whisked eggs have loads of air bubbles. They develop within the oven, after which when the temperature drops, the baked merchandise drops as effectively. That is additionally true for egg muffins.
If it’s wholesome grab-and-go morning gas you’re after, strive these straightforward breakfast egg muffins. Have enjoyable utilizing completely different add-ins and cheeses, and see recipe Notes for make-ahead, freezing, and reheating particulars.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan generously with nonstick spray. I don’t suggest utilizing muffin liners, however for those who’d prefer to, spray them generously with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, preferably one with a pour spout, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder simply till mixed. Attempt to not over-mix, or an excessive amount of air will probably be integrated. You should have about 2 cups.
- Spoon the chopped bell pepper, spinach, and/or different add-ins into every greased muffin cup—about 2 Tablespoons in every. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of cheese on prime of every.
- Pour the egg combination into every muffin cup, filling about 3/4 full (simply excessive of the add-ins and cheese).
- Bake for 18–20 minutes or till puffy and golden brown across the edges. The muffins stand up tall whereas baking, and don’t be alarmed if they’re rising erratically—that’s okay.
- Take away from the oven and funky within the pan for five minutes. The muffins deflate as they cool.
- Take away the egg muffins from the pan, and both serve instantly, or cool fully and retailer within the fridge or freezer (see Notes). Add optionally available garnishes when serving, if desired.
- Make Forward Directions: You’ll be able to put together the egg combination (step 2), cowl, and refrigerate it for as much as 2 days earlier than utilizing. You may also assemble the egg muffins by step 4, loosely cowl and refrigerate in a single day, after which bake within the morning. Although I’ll say that you’ve got finest outcomes (texture and style) for those who put together the combination and bake the muffins instantly.
- Storage & Reheating Directions: Cowl leftover egg muffins and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Microwave: Wrap or cowl egg muffins with a moist paper towel and microwave for 20–30 seconds, or till warmed by. (Don’t overheat, or they may style rubbery.) Oven: Bake, lined, in a 350°F (177°C) oven for five–10 minutes, or till warmed by. Air Fryer: Air fry at 375°F (191°C) for 3–4 minutes, or till warmed by.
- Freezing Directions: Cool baked egg muffins fully, switch to a freezer-safe container, and canopy tightly. Freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to eat, thaw within the fridge, and observe the reheating directions within the Notice above. Or skip thawing and microwave for 1–2 minutes, or till warmed all through.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Mixing Bowls With Pour Spout | Whisk | Muffin Pan | Storage Container Set
- Egg Whites Solely? I don’t suggest utilizing solely egg whites as a result of you’ll lose loads of richness and taste that the yolks present. For those who’d prefer to strive it, I recommend utilizing 2 complete eggs and 6 egg whites.
- Milk: Entire milk or half-and-half present the most effective style and texture, however you’ll be able to substitute lower-fat or nondairy milk in a pinch. Utilizing heavy cream makes for a creamier texture.
- Ham & Cheddar Egg Muffins: Substitute the bell peppers, tomatoes, and spinach with 1 and 1/2 cups (225g or 6 oz.) of finely cubed cooked ham and a couple of Tablespoons chopped parsley or chives (or you’ll be able to skip the parsley/chives if desired). Substitute the feta cheese with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. All directions stay the identical.
- Different Add-ins and Cheeses: Use about 1 and 1/2 cups (round 225g) add-ins + 3/4 cup cheese whole. The model above makes use of about 2 cups, however I don’t really matter spinach as a result of it hardly takes up any room! Favourite add-ins embrace cooked meats (or plant-based alternate options) like chopped/crumbled sausage, bacon, or rooster. Or strive mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, cooked corn, cooked potato, and/or cooked broccoli. You’ll be able to combine any of those collectively to whole round 1 and 1/2 cups. Favourite cheeses embrace white cheddar, pepper jack, smoked gouda, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Mini Egg Muffins: For mini egg muffins, chop your greens/add-ins even finer and use a generously greased mini muffin pan. Use the identical oven temperature, however cut back the bake time to about 10 minutes.
- Can I take advantage of this as a frittata or bake in a casserole dish? You definitely can, however I’m not sure of the most effective bake time. For finest outcomes, I like to recommend attempting my frittata recipe.
- Serving Measurement: 2 muffins
- Energy: 159
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 372.7 mg
- Fats: 10.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 265 mg