My Beef Ragu recipe cooks for hours till the meat is extremely tender and flavorful. Serve it with pappardelle pasta for a hearty and spectacular dinner! Recipe features a how-to video!
Beef Ragu with Pappardelle
This cozy and satisfying beef ragu recipe is impressed by my late Italian great-grandmother’s family-famous fettuccine. Whereas I ought to preface this recipe with the truth that that is not her recipe (sadly, I don’t have it), she did educate me what good Italian meals ought to style like, and that is most positively it.
My model is wealthy, thick, hearty, and warm-you-straight-down-to-your-toes satisfying. It’s *good* chilly climate consolation meals, and takes solely half-hour to prep earlier than going within the oven. You’ll love how tender the meat will get after cooking for hours, (very like with my beef stew).
If you happen to’re intimidated about cooking a roast–don’t be. We’ll be breaking it down into smaller items and searing on the range for only a few minutes earlier than the oven does the remainder. It is a principally hands-off recipe, and nice for making ready upfront! I extremely suggest serving with some garlic knots or breadsticks for the total stick-to-your-ribs expertise.
One be aware earlier than we start: Don’t use a non-enameled forged iron pot! The iron will react with the tomato sauce and can make the ultimate dish style distinctly metallic after cooking all that point. I’ve realized this the exhausting method 🙁
What You Want
This beef ragu is a taste explosion of carefully-selected substances, together with:
- Beef. Chuck roast is your best option right here. It shreds properly and turns into tremendous tender and flavorful after cooking for just a few hours.
- Veggies. We use a mirepoix; carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and tomatoes. We’ll additionally throw in some herbs together with bay leaves and thyme.
- Crimson wine vinegar. It’s Crucial (Sure, capital “I” — it’s essential!) that you simply prepare dinner down the pink wine vinegar as indicated, in any other case your beef ragu can have a vinegary style. When cooked correctly, it improves the tenderness of the meat and makes the sauce wealthy and flavorful. Prepare dinner it till you’ll be able to now not scent the acidity once you waft the steam from the pot in the direction of you. When doubtful, at all times decide to prepare dinner for extra time fairly than much less.
- Pasta. I like to make use of thick pappardelle or tagliatelle noodles and even fettuccine. Broad noodles are greatest for this sort of sauce.
SAM’S TIP: If you happen to don’t wish to use vinegar, a dry pink wine (like merlot) could possibly be used as an alternative. You’ll be able to improve this to ½ cup, however nonetheless scale back it on the stovetop as indicated.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
The right way to Make Beef Ragu
- Sear the meat – Season your beef with salt and pepper, then sear it over medium excessive warmth till browned on all sides. Take away the meat to a plate.
- Prepare dinner the veggies – Cut back the warmth to medium and add the butter. As soon as melted, toss within the carrots, celery, and onion and prepare dinner till softened.
- Create a flavorful base – Add the garlic and prepare dinner for 30 seconds, then stir within the tomato paste.
- Deglaze the pan – Add the pink wine vinegar, scraping the pan as you do to include any browned bits on the underside of the pot. Prepare dinner till the vinegar is 50% lowered and now not has a pungent odor.
- Add the remaining substances – Stir within the beef broth, tomatoes, water, and crushed pink pepper. As soon as simmering, add the meat and herbs.
- Cowl and prepare dinner – Cowl the pot with a lid and prepare dinner at 350F for 3 hours.
- Take a look at for doneness – As soon as the meat is tender, take away it to a plate.
- Create the sauce – Mash the greens within the pot till easy.
- Shred the meat – Shred the meat, then return it to the pot. Style take a look at for seasoning.
- Take pleasure in! Toss with cooked pasta and high with grated parmesan, or function desired.
SAM’S TIP: If you happen to plan to serve your beef ragu with noodles, save a few of the pasta water! It helps the sauce cling fantastically to the noodles. If you happen to’re tossing the whole lot collectively, I additionally suggest simply beginning with ¾ lb of noodles (because the noodles soak up plenty of the sauce) and solely add extra if wanted.
Often Requested Questions
I choose a broad pasta noodle like pappardelle, fettuccini, or tagliatelle. You may additionally do rigatoni, gnocchi, or cavatappi. If you happen to don’t wish to serve your beef ragu over pasta, every other grain may work (like polenta!) or you could possibly even serve it over mashed potatoes.
A beef minimize that shreds properly is greatest; for me, that’s chuck roast. Brisket may additionally work, nevertheless it’s not my favourite selection right here. As a bonus, chuck roast is mostly fairly cheap, and whereas it’s a troublesome minimize of meat, the lengthy, gradual cooking course of makes it unbelievably melt-in-your-mouth tender by dinnertime.
Sure! Beef ragu will maintain within the freezer in an hermetic container for a number of months. To thaw, let sit within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating.
In search of extra consolation meals? Strive my baked ziti or stuffed shells!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do this recipe, remember to tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Servings: 8 servings
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Organize rack to heart of oven and preheat oven to 350F (165C).
Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
Warmth oil in a big enameled Dutch oven over medium/excessive warmth. As soon as oil is shimmering, add beef and sear on all sides till deep brown in shade (when you place the meat within the pot, let it sit for about 2-3 minutes earlier than touching/turning it so that you get a pleasant sear). After searing, take away to a plate and put aside. There ought to be a number of browned bits on the underside of the pot – depart these, they’re nice for taste.
Cut back warmth to medium. Add butter to the pot and, as soon as melted, add carrot, celery, and onion and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till softened (about 3-5 minutes).
Add garlic and prepare dinner, stirring regularly, till aromatic (about 30 seconds).
Add tomato paste and stir till well-incorporated with veggies.
Deglaze the pan by slowly pouring in pink wine vinegar and scraping the underside of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Prepare dinner till the vinegar is lowered by about 50% and the steam from the pot now not has a pungent vinegar odor.
Add beef broth, water, crushed tomatoes, and crushed pink pepper (if utilizing). Convey to a simmer, stirring sometimes.
Return beef to the pot and add bay leaves and thyme (be certain they’re submerged), cowl with lid, and switch to the oven.
Prepare dinner for 3 hours or till beef is extraordinarily tender and could also be simply shredded with a fork (however don’t shred it but).
Take away beef from the pot. Use a potato masher to interrupt up the greens within the pot (for a smoother sauce, use an immersion blender, however I like mine a bit heartier). Shred the meat and return to the pot. Style-test and add further salt/pepper as wanted.
Function desired, I prefer to serve mine over pappardelle. If you happen to’d prefer to toss the noodles with the bolognese sauce, reserve a little bit of the pasta water (about ½ cup) and add it into the sauce with the noodles and simmer over low warmth for a number of minutes till thickened and clinging to the noodles earlier than serving. High with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
For greatest taste in a gradual cooker, I like to recommend first following steps 1-7 then transferring the whole lot (beef, veggies/vinegar in pot and remaining substances) to the gradual cooker and cooking for 7-8 hours on low or 5 hours on excessive. Don’t skip the steps or the sauce will probably be skinny and vinegary tasting.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for a number of months.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 42g | Fats: 27g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 13g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 157mg | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 1092mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 448IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 6mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.