This traditional apple crisp recipe may be prepped in simply 10 minutes and prepared inside an hour! My recipe makes use of melted butter for an extremely buttery taste with out ever touching a pastry cutter. Recipe features a how-to video!
My Favourite Apple Crisp
Image it now…heat, sugared and spiced juicy apples baked to tender perfection beneath a beneficiant blanket of buttery crisp…are you prepared for fall but? Make a batch of this apple crisp, and also you’ll be there very quickly!
My recipe is:
- Really easy to make (simply 10 minutes to prep!) WITHOUT the necessity for a pastry cutter.
- A fantastic strategy to burn up apples for those who are typically a bit overzealous along with your apple selecting like I’m (apple butter and apple fritters are different choices too!).
- Good for making upfront or freezing; verify the FAQ part under for particulars.
- Completely sinful with scoop of vanilla ice cream–in my home, that is non-negotiable!
- Traditional and comforting. It’s simply so quintessentially *fall* 🍂
Apple crisp is one among my favourite fall recipes, and with fall formally arriving this month, I believed it was about time I re-share this recipe with you!
What You Want
You may make this recipe with just a few pantry staples (butter, sugar, flour, and many others.). Actually, isn’t that a part of what makes consolation meals so good?
- Apples. Just like my apple pie recipe, I like to recommend utilizing granny smith apples for this recipe. A agency, tart apple works effectively right here, however you may as well use a semisweet apple, like gala or honeycrisp (these are additionally nice for making apple dumplings, so when you have any leftovers, strive that recipe!). I sometimes want about 7 small apples to get 2 cups.
- Oats. We’ll be utilizing quaint rolled oats at this time, similar to when making my oatmeal raisin cookies. Actually, I even suppose the crisp a part of this recipe even tastes like a crumbled oatmeal cookie!
- Brown sugar. I add mild brown sugar to each the apples and the crisp parts of this recipe. Darkish brown sugar might work too, however the taste can be richer.
- Cinnamon. Apples and cinnamon go collectively like peanut butter and jelly–we merely can’t make apple crisp with out it! I add cinnamon to the apples and the crisp for further taste.
- Melted butter. If you happen to’ve made my streusel recipe, you understand how a lot of a sport changer melted butter may be when making a crumb topping! At present’s crisp isn’t any totally different. Not solely is that this methodology a lot simpler than utilizing chilly butter and a pastry cutter, but it surely additionally yields a extra buttery taste!
SAM’S TIP: This recipe was designed for a tart or candy/tart apple, so for those who use sweeter apples, remember that this can lead to a sweeter crisp.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Methods to Make Apple Crisp
- Toss the sliced apples with brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Set this apart whilst you put together your crisp. It will begin to break down the apples a bit and make them juicy, very similar to macerating strawberries.
- Whisk collectively the melted butter and vanilla extract, then set this apart.
- Stir the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon collectively in a big bowl, then drizzle the melted butter combination overtop. Toss this combination along with a fork till it’s clumpy, however don’t go too far that you just flip it right into a paste.
- Stir the apples yet another time earlier than transferring them right into a buttered 9×9 or 11×7 baking dish.
- Scatter the crisp evenly overtop, then bake at 375F for 50 minutes or till the apples are tender and the topping is a lightweight golden brown. You’ll be able to cowl the crisp with foil if it begins to get too darkish whereas baking.
- Serve heat with vanilla ice cream, and luxuriate in!
SAM’S TIP: Crisp shouldn’t be the identical factor as cobbler! Crisps typically have a crumblier, crispier topping that’s made primarily of butter, sugar, and oats (although some sources argue that crumbles have oats while crisps never do, I disagree). Cobblers have a biscuit-like topping that appears like cobbled highway. If you happen to’d wish to make apple cobbler as an alternative, you could possibly all the time make the apple base from this recipe and the cobbler topping from my blueberry cobbler. I’d advocate baking as instructed in that recipe for greatest outcomes.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Put together the apples and place in your pan as instructed, then cowl and refrigerate. Make the crumble topping and retailer that in a separate hermetic container within the fridge.
If you end up able to bake, uncover your apples, scatter the ready topping on high (it is perhaps somewhat agency, simply break it up with a fork), and bake in line with recipe directions.
Sure! To freeze earlier than baking, put together the crisp as instructed, then cowl and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to bake, switch to the fridge and thaw for a number of hours or in a single day, then uncover and bake at 350F.
To freeze an apple crisp that’s already been baked, first enable it to chill to room temperature, then cowl tightly with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge, uncover, and bake at 350F till warmed by, about 20 minutes.
Cool it fully after which cowl with plastic wrap or foil. You’ll be able to retailer it at room temperature for twenty-four hours or within the fridge for 4-5 days.
Word that the topping does have a tendency to melt because it sits, so I like to recommend reheating within the oven to revive the crispiness.
I promise I’m not making an attempt to hurry summer time away, however with the warmth lastly letting up a bit, I can’t assist however really feel somewhat bit enthusiastic about fall baking!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! If you happen to do this recipe, be sure you tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Facebook
Apple Crisp Recipe
Servings: 8 servings
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and frivolously grease a 9×9 or 11×7 glass baking dish² with butter. Set a facet.
Mix sliced apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a big bowl. Give every part stir till all elements are mixed and put aside whilst you put together your crisp topping.
2 lbs (905 g) apples, ¼ cup (50 g) mild brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon floor cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt
Put together your topping by whisking collectively butter and vanilla extract. Put aside (you don’t need the butter to be too sizzling once you add your sugar, so let it cool whilst you put together your dry elements)
9 Tablespoons unsalted butter, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
In a separate bowl, stir collectively flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
¾ cup (95 g) all function flour, 1 cup (100 g) quaint oats, ½ cup (100 g) mild brown sugar, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon floor cinnamon
Pour butter into flour combination and use a fork to stir till combination is mixed and clumpy (don’t over-stir, you need it to be crumbly, not paste-like). Put aside.
Give your apple combination one other good stir and pour evenly into your ready pan.
Use your palms to drop your crumble combination evenly overtop your apple filling.
Switch to 375F (190C) oven and bake for 50 minutes or till topping is frivolously golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. If topping is beginning to turn into too darkish and apples are nonetheless crisp, cowl apple crisp with foil whereas persevering with to bake.
Serve heat (ideally topped with ice cream!)
This was about 7 smallish apples for me. I like to recommend utilizing Granny Smith apples as they’re agency and tart. Utilizing a sweeter apple might lead to a sweeter crisp that cooks quicker, so hold that in thoughts!
This recipe will work in a steel pan, however it’ll possible have to prepare dinner for much less time so keep watch over it and begin checking sooner.
I unintentionally say to make use of ¼ cup of oats within the video. The quantity listed within the recipe (1 cup) is the correct quantity.
See FAQ part of publish for detailed directions on storing apple crisp, making it forward, or freezing it.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 14g | Saturated Fats: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4g | Trans Fats: 8g | Ldl cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 371mg | Potassium: 21mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Vitamin C: 15.7mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.4mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.
Recipe initially printed 10/08/2018.
Extra Traditional Fall Recipes